Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:48:23 AM

Author Topic: blue screen of death  (Read 9720 times)

Re: blue screen of death
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 01:41:58 AM »
As promised here's my update...

It seems to be a video adapter problem and I cannot change the resources used by my video card. I guess that explains what happened, Windows re-assigned my video resources and whammo. I do have a work around, I disabled video hardware acceleration and am now up and running again.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:50:52 PM »
Nevermind my last post I'm still crashing but I will keep trying

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 03:09:57 AM »
Not so good, hopefully you will get there in the end :(

Is this an onboard video card?

Hood

andrewm

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
Did you establish that the RAM isn't the issue? I know it was mentioned earlier but did you check it?
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »
I have a program that tests hardware but I'm not real sure that it's all that good. So, I have ordered new ram and am now waiting to give it a try. I will let you know when it gets here and I've installed it.

andrewm

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »
How far into running you're computer do you get before the Blue Screen happens?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Used to use Memtest a few years back, not sure even if its still available but might be worth a google.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 02:25:50 AM »
So... it's not the memory. The memory has passed all tests and I swapped it out when the new memory arrived... Still, I have the problem.

To answer the question as to when do I get the Blue Screen of Death... It might happen immediately or in two hours, or maybe five minutes... it seems random.

An update on the second computer that I tried using... After Mach caused the BSoD, that computer is completely dead. Paperweight dead. Doorstop dead. Dead.

I have put Mach on a third computer, an old, slow, eMachine, it should have a crank on the side, but it did pass the driver test program... No BSoD on it yet, but like I said, the first computer worked for years before there was ever a problem and I'd still like to get it working again.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 03:03:26 AM »
Does it need Mach open to crash or does it just crash even if Mach is not running?

Have you looked at the capacitors on the mobo, sometimes they start going bad and you can often see them leaking or bulging at the top.

Hood
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 03:44:10 AM »
The times I was stating were from the start of running Mach. The computer won't crash until Mach is run. I haven't noticed any bulging caps but will take a closer look...