Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:55:07 PM

Author Topic: blue screen of death  (Read 9723 times)

blue screen of death
« on: November 25, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
I have been using mach 3 for years without any problems. Then out of the blue I got a blue screen of death...
 At this point I've tried everything, I reinstalled Mach, I reinstalled windows, I tried a different computer...
 all seem to work for short time then I get the blue screen of death...

Any ideas would be appreciated please help.

Thank you,
Andrew

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: blue screen of death
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 02:21:11 AM »
What is the kernel frequency you have set? What is the frequency and Time in Int on the Diagnostics page?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
Sadly, I can't get that far anymore. I tried to start over...
I re-installed XP
I installed Mach III (the only thing on the computer)
I tried to run the driver test and it got half way through and rebooted my computer. After the reboot, I tried to run it again and it got half way into it and rebooted my computer again. At least I haven't gotten the blue screen of death yet, but in all fairness I haven't tried to run Mach yet and that's when I've been getting the BSoD.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:30 AM »
Look on the downloads page and try the optimisation steps that are detailed in a file there.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:18:50 AM »
Sorry I guess I should've mentioned that was the first thing that I tried.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 01:04:27 AM »
So, I can't get through the driver test program. When I run it, it reboots my computer. If I try the special driver, then the driver test program does nothing at all. At this point I will probably try reinstalling XP again, but this time install a very old version of Mach because, like I said, it used to work.

Has anybody else had these problems? Did Mach just stop working for anybody else?
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 11:27:11 AM »
First check your ram.Use a memtest or swap out
the ram chip/s with a known good one.If you assembled your own
computer for this machine did you remember to put some
thermal paste on the cpu chip.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
Keithmech beat me to it but I'll second his comments.
Check a few items like how clean the inside of the computer is, check the CPU heat sink, RAM, power supply, graphics card or chip.
All of these can cause the problems your having and are more likely than the programs as you were already running the computer without problems.

Steve

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
The PC I use had been sitting for a few years before I set it up, and it was doing the exact same things as yours.
Problem was bad RAM.

BSOD is just about always caused be PC hardware issues.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 12:35:43 AM »
Thanks guys, I will further investigate my hardware. I did not build this machine or there'd be no need to check for common mistakes... I'm only half kidding, I'm good but hey, we all make mistakes. This was a "discount" machine from eBay, but it did work well for years. I don't mind buying another machine if this one is the problem but what's got me going is why did it do the same thing on another machine? Of course, that was another old machine but for its time it was top of the line.

I will pull the thing apart and find the problem and post it. Once again, thanks to all.