Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:28:52 AM

Author Topic: Longtime user lost on install of new version of Mach 3  (Read 3905 times)

Longtime user lost on install of new version of Mach 3
« on: November 21, 2010, 03:02:50 PM »
Background
Been using since Master 5 days, on the same computer (XP SP2 1.2g, 512ram stripped down, no floppy, cd, internet etc. dedicated to CNC only) and the same mill with a 4 axis servo controller from Camtronics.

Current issue
Loaded up a part, did a trial cut off the work and as I was about to cut the real thing, the computer locked up. After multiple tries, I wiped all the Mach 3 stuff off and reinstalled, including deleting the folder out of "C", deleting registry entries and deleting the driver out of system/hardware settings. I tried to reconfigure, but now get no output at all. Did I forget some setup or something?

Here's what I set up - did I miss something?
- Std x0378 printer port - confirmed in control panel
- Set units to inches
- In Pins and ports, Set x,y,z pins and ports just like the manual xstep2, dir3, y4/5, z6/7
- Enabled the quadratures and entered the steps per unit (in my case, running 4:1, it has always been 15010 for x&y and 19010 for z)

Is there some other screen I need to set up? this is driving me CRAZY! Not only is there no output at all now, but in the cam window, when I bring up the part, it doesn't even show the right paths!

Thanks in advance.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Longtime user lost on install of new version of Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:26:05 PM »
If you attach your xml I will have a look and see if I can find a problem.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 04:49:56 PM »
Thank you. I went back through it all again, and found where I missed a setting - been years since I set it up, and didn't save my notes like I should... Did screen shots of all the settings this time!

I did find that on the new version, its not reading my files right out of mastercam.. time to dig into that now - arcs not showing up right.. I'll probably be back crying about that later ;)

Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 05:03:15 PM »
IJ mode on General Config page the likely culprit for the wrong arcs.
As for saving your settings, just copy your xml to another drive or computer then if you have issues just place it in the Mach3 folder over writing the old one. There is also a restore function from Operator menu as Mach keeps backups of xmls automatically.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:18:59 AM »
As for saving your settings, just copy your xml to another drive or computer then if you have issues just place it in the Mach3 folder over writing the old one. There is also a restore function from Operator menu as Mach keeps backups of xmls automatically.
Hood
Hood

Ah, that was it! Happiness restored... at 6am this morning I ran my part to confirm :) Now I just need to check for backlash as my circular interpolation isn't perfectly round... Doesn't help that my entire part is only 1/2" in size!

Thanks!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:23:16 AM »
If its just out of round at the cardinal points then its likely backlash but if its out of round in that its more oval than round then it could be steps per unit are not correct on one or both axis, so check them out.
Hood