Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:44:18 AM

Author Topic: Complex Turning Wizard..... Possible re-do/upgrade.... anyone?  (Read 9745 times)

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
Re: Complex Turning Wizard..... Possible re-do/upgrade.... anyone?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »
Scott,

I have no intention of selling anything. I would just like to further the conversational side of programming on the lathe side since there seams to be very little change. I have several ideas on wizards as well as making the ones available better. I am just trying to share. I have already started a thread here...

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16533.0.html

I saw you were asking for interest on making the threading wizard better and more complete. I figured that was great. Then you said there was no interest. I have interest and am more than willing to help any way I can. I own a machine shop myself so I use these things every day. I normally just program things in cad/cam however after buying a new Haas machine with conversational programming. I was amazed how little I use cad/cam on lathe anymore. To me the closer I  (we) can get this to the hobbyist the better.

Now for for helping... I have no idea if this will be of use but here are the calculations I use on cam...

Thread Depth Calculation

This is for a 60 deg point tool. Depths calculated are Per Side depths to be used when determining the diameter to be programmed in the thread commands.

* External Thread Depth = .61343 x ( 1 / # of threads per inch)
    * Internal Thread Depth = .54127 x ( 1 / # of threads per inch)

This will allow you to calculate just about any thread.

Hope this helps. Your work is always appreciated. :)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »
DaOne:

If the pics of the lathe screen you showed for lathe tools, is what you have made wizards of already in Mach3. Then you Wizards for lathe functions, is FAR, FAR better than mine. If those screens are your work, my hat is definatly off to you. As such, since your screen sets for lathe would incorporate, all lathe (or most) lathe functions/wizards, it would probably be better to move my single Quick threads set, into your already existing multi-Wizard set.
   If you would like to do that, then by all means move my quick threads into your overall Conversational Lathe Wizard set(s).
If you want my help in doing that to your sets, that is fine as well, if you want my help making your set(s) more??.... whatever??.. that is fine too.
Again was NOT complaining, just trying to keep the subject matter focused.

I suspect that it would be of GREAT advantage, to get other commercial Lathe Users like: Hood, Graham, and Rich into this discussion. I can bring a highlevel of VB, Brians, Plugins, or screens (flash or regular) to the table, to help make it better.

So, please Chime in your thoughts, and if you want to move to your Set(s), then perhaps we should all migrate to YOUR thread on the subject. I use my lathe here in my little garage shop about 5% and my mill about 95% of all my work pieces. I usually use CAM to do all my G code, so dont really have any "Hands on" experience in using Conversational programming of a lathe AT the control. So, you (or others?), would definatly need to take lead on this for what will work, and what won't, I will be glad to help you make it do what you want in Mach3 from the programming/screen design side.

scott
fun times

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
Scott,

I am not sure if you are using this screenset or no but it seams to be the popular choice. Please see my post here...

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13548

Its on page 3. I have added many more functions to the wizards portion of the screenset.

I do have a question on the plugins. Is it possible to add canned cycles to mach3 via a plugin? Basically do what a macro does only with a G-code not a M-code? If this is possible... is it something you are able to do?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 09:14:56 AM »
Rich/DaOne:

Ok, lets do this then (rich per your idea), lets table this discussion on this thread, and lets move our questions, concerns, etc. to "DaOnes" thread of the Lathe Wizards........  Rich, perhaps since your knowledgable about lathes, then perhaps you could start the "Round-A-Bout" of questions......

Once we get an "Idea" of USEFULL functions/Wizards, to add to the screens, etc.........

scott

« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:48:45 AM by RICH »
fun times

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
I moved my posts on threading wizards from this thread to the following thread.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16630.msg112681.html#msg112681

RICH

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »
I am definitely interested in this.  I am teaching myself threading on my lathe now and would love to see someone do a quick tutorial on setting up the machine (home and zeroing) in preparation for a threading operation.  Thats the only part I am hazy on right now.

I downloaded and installed 2.5 of your wizard Scott and it is GREAT!!!  I especially like the thread reference table you included in the wizard, very helpful.  I think an MSI package would be even better!