Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:52:04 PM

Author Topic: Complex Turning Wizard..... Possible re-do/upgrade.... anyone?  (Read 9793 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Complex Turning Wizard..... Possible re-do/upgrade.... anyone?
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »
Greetings,

I am considering revisiting and upgrading the "Quick Threads" complex threading wizard......
I was wondering at the "Interest level" from the member ship in General for this........

Basicall if there is enough interst then, I would implement a "MSI" type installer that would do the Wizard installation for you, and have
all the current screen, and VB fixes as of the last implementation, update of the wizard, it is kinda spread out, over a vast amount of time...

Also, if there is enough interest, if any of you would like to ask for "Useful" and Practical additions (or fixes), to the wizard, please speak up!!
I would also consider if the "General" lathe population wants, I could also install the "Practical Lathe" screen set, you would still need to "Load it"
if you wanted to use it, but it would be there for those that like that screen set layout.

I am still waiting on Graham to send me his "easy Calc" threading formulas, when he does, I can make it where they "Auto fil" the dros on common stuff.

NOTE: The threading calc Free-Ware app, was just a convienance and who ever wrote it, did it for NON-pointed thread cutters, many here wanted one for
sharp pointed thread cutters........  so, if you know of a "Free ware" app that can do that, by all means give a link..... I will add it also, and thus you can have both
types of quick reference threading software.

BTW:  Tony, and others, speak up on this........

scott
fun times

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
Re: Complex Turning Wizard..... Possible re-do/upgrade.... anyone?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »
I am interested. I was working on a screenset that actually includes all the wizards. Updating would sure be great. It works like the Haas intuitive programming. Basically tabs for each op like this...

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 10:39:50 PM »
Kind of amazed I am the only one who has responded to this. I figured there were more lathe users out there. To me any updates for the turn side of this is a big plus. Kinda seams the turn side is rather ignored. :(

I am almost done with a drilling wizard for turn. It will allow standard feed, feed in and feed out (reamer), peck drill or chip break. Feeds and speeds will also be set in the wizard.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
I guess there is no interest......

oh well
fun times

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 01:34:31 AM »
Hi Scott,

Sorry to miss this thread. I would be very much interested in adding more useful wizards to lathe. Sorry I don't know what exactly you're talking about... what is the "Complex Turning Wizard" and what is the "Quick Threads" one?

Where do I get them?

Dan

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 06:32:02 AM »
Scott,
I am interested and missed replying to this thread when it was first posted.
I'll reply back in a few days with constructive comments to you for consideration.

RICH

Offline DaOne

•  236 236
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 11:35:25 PM »
I guess my vote doesn't count :(

I have added multiple start threading to the simple thread wizard. Guess I can add it to the advanced one too if you are interested.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 08:16:21 AM »
DaOne,
No need to  feel that way. I see what you are up to and frankly like it, but have some questions for you.

Rich

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »
Scott,
Anything you do to enhance something for the lathe would be always be appreciated.

I guess there is no interest
I think there is, but, there just is not the volume of lathe users or folks doing threading out there.
I don't know.....maybe they are just a silent group of users.....

Quick Threads was included in the threading write up i did. There are a number of options out there for
generating threading code.

MODIFIED: 11/27/10 Discussion on the options was moved to:
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,16630.msg112681.html#msg112681

RICH
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 10:57:38 AM by RICH »

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
DaOne:

If you are offering a different wizard please move your stuff out of my thread and start your own. If you wanting to add your stuff to mine then
that is fine.
     Note: if you want to add my quick threads wizard to yours, it is a "free" and open screen set, but, if your going to sell yours, then dont add my code.
Not bitching, just asking for your cooperation in not cluttering up my thread.

Rich:

You are probably (that I am aware of) the top lathe user, and the most knowledgable in its practicle application, ( nod to Hood as well ).
If you want those changes, then I ask, please help me with the screen!! I will be glad to make the changes if it would help you (and others) out.
I will be glad to change colors, or what ever, it is not personal for me, I am NOT offended, and always welcome constructive critizim, especially
if it will help advance/repair/make-friendlier a user wizard for the community at large.

Also, If you want, since you have my current wizard, please open it up in Klaus's Mach Screen, and change the colors and/or anything else you feel comfortable changing, and send it to me, with a "List" of things to fix, and a list of things to add (or remove).
Please be available for questions from me, I am a Hobbiest Lathe user at best, mostly I am a machine builder, and hobbie level user.

scott

fun times