Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:28:39 PM

Author Topic: DC Spindle drive question, What to do with it!  (Read 15696 times)

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Re: DC Spindle drive question, What to do with it!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 03:03:24 AM »
More than likley is is a high frequency snubber and back emf protecter when the direction relay is opened. It is there to help protect the pwm dc spindle driver and cut back on rf noise emission.

Chad

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 03:08:12 AM »
Thanks,

best leave that in then.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 07:15:28 PM »
HI Graham,

Sorry for the delay, I am biding on a $60k project and it has taken all of my time lately.

Any way here it is and i think it should work.

You will have to pick up at your local electronics store a 12 vdc wall plug.  according to peter you will have to isolate the 12vdc for the speed controller ( on the motor side) from the common on the machine. Personally i think it would work just fine but he says not to so better not. I did not show wiring from the jumper that connects to mach because i don't know how you want to hook it up, All of that is covered in the manual and should be pretty straight forward.

To change direction all you have to do connect the dir change relay, put +24vdc on one side of the relay connect that to the com then gnd the normally open. When mach sends the dir change the relay on the board will close and that will close the big relay going to the motor and reverse the direction. Depending on what way the big relay is wired you might have to reverse the wires, if forward is reverse and reverse ids forward.

If you have any further questions pleas drop me a line.

Chad

Here is the sch, it is quick and dirty but should get you by...

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 05:22:45 AM »
Thanks Chad,

the spindle is now working in manual mode, I just need to sort out the computer control side now,  my rotation sensor disk may have too many holes in it, its got 50 2mm dia holes on a 60mm pcd.

Graham.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:03:15 PM »
Hello Graham and all.

I'm from German and this is my first Post in this great Forum. I read your Posts to the Problem with the Spindle Drive.
 I have the same Drive (it's an Lenze 534) on a Boxford 160TCL CNC-Lathe, it works with a Lenze DC-Motor 180 Volts.
 I use Mach3 and i have the same Problem: How can i change the direction of the drive?.
I use this Board:http://www.campbelldesigns.com/breakout-board.php and the Spindle Control
http://www.campbelldesigns.com/mach-spindle-speed-control.php. With the second Board i can control the
Spindle Speed with an analogue 0-10V input. It works well, but i have no Idea how to change the direction.
The Spindle Control Pcb have the same N/O COM N/C pins like the DigiSpeedXL. Did i need two relais
with 24 Volts (one for Fwd and one for Rwd) ore can i do it with one relais? Please excuse my bad English and i
hope you understand what i mean. I have no Problems to read in English but it's difficult to writhe in English.

Best regards, Dietmar.

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
Did you ever sort this Spindle drive out?
My Boxford 160TCL has the same drive and uses a relay to switch the direction.

I was planning on using the speed control on a CNC4PC C11G breakout board to control the speed, will this work?

If you did sort it, How did you connect up the relay to get the direction to switch?

Also how did you connect up the spindle encoders? The lathe has 2 encoders on it, one with 1 slot and another with loads of holes (I have not counted them yet)

Thanks
Simon

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 03:44:35 AM »
Graham - and Ditmar

I don't think you need to get too involved in how it all works. The important thing for you is What makes it work. You say it is a 10v dc signal that controls the speed and a relay controls the direction.

If there is easy access to the reversing relay already fitted, then this can be controlled by a second relay in turnĀ  controlled by the Mach3 M3 or M4 signal (which would cut out any chance of electrical interference). Ditmar - as far as you are concerned - the same question - what changes your direction now - is it a switch, is it a pushbutton - etc. The simplest way to wire anything up is leave it as it is, and just alter the control - so if you have a switch - fit a relay that closes a switch in it's place. I have my four additional outputs on Mach driving four relays ( via a Darlington array chip) - a single chip that can drive all four relays direct from the computer. These relays are (at the moment) activated by M3 and M4 (to suit my Omron inverter). I am only using two at the moment - the other two are spare possibly for coolant and anything else I want to control.

As far as the control voltage is concerned, a simple digispeed card will convert the PWM signal output by Mach 3 into a control voltage of whatever voltage you want. The two halves of Digispeed are electrically seperate, the input side is powered from the computer electronics at 5volts. The output side power is taken from your controller which in your case shows 10volts. Digispeed therefore puts out a signal from 0v to 10v to control the speed.

The diagram you posted shows that the 10v supply is isolated from the rest of the drive circuitry - so I think you are on a winner - but I can't quite work out where the signal goes in to control the speed.

Does the system fire up as it is - i.e. does it run the spindle - I assume it must work - so how do you control the spindle speed now. If it is a manually potentiometer then you could replace that with leads to digispeed and it would run fine.

It is identical (and probably from a similar era) to my Omron (although mine uses 3 phase AC drive) but the controls are identical.

I have Digispeed fitted and you are welcome to have a look.

As far as the speed indicator working - mine is just a single strobe each revolution, - on the index pin. This is nice and simple. The lads who have used multiple slots had a bit of difficulty, and, I understand, one of the slots should be wider to index the position. The method you use is not important - both work. The important bit is the voltage that your indexer puts out. This should be TTL compatable so you can feed it into Mach3. I use reflective sensors - onto mirrors stuck on the spindles - with a disc you can use straight through sensors. Once you get the output voltage right you will have no difficulty.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:07:17 AM by jimpinder »
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 04:43:44 AM »
Hi Jim,

thanks for the information, the job was finished in November 2006, I think its SimonD that needs the info.

Regards

Graham.