Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:31:45 AM

Author Topic: DC Spindle drive question, What to do with it!  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
DC Spindle drive question, What to do with it!
« on: November 03, 2006, 02:01:54 PM »
Hi All,

I took the plunge and bought the Boxford Mill,  its a very tidy machine, very little use.

Now I am in the throws of converting it to Mach3,  most of it is straight forward enough but the DC spindle drive is a bit of an enigma.

From the pictures below can anybody tell me if I can use this from Mach.

It looks to have -10V and a 10V connector on the green PCB but I can not find any drawing or info about the setup.

It looks as if it may use a relay to change direction.

Any help much appreciated

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: DC Spindle drive question, What to do with it!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 10:25:14 AM »
Hi, Graham

I didn't see any speed adjust control in your picture's.

If it's a speed reo-stat and with some luck 0-10 / 0-5 volts controlling the board, Be carefull checking as some Mfg's float the 0-10 at line potential.

Put on a speed sensor pickup, get one of those 0-10 volt speed board's, thay have a lot of caution's in there Doc's.

You may be good to go.

Post more picture's. let me now.

Hope this Helps, Chip

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 03:40:52 PM »
Hi Chip,

since the first post I have found out a bit more about the drive.

It works with an analogue 0-10V input to control the speed, the direction is controlled by an external relay.

I have found this bit of a schematic but I am not sure its got all the detail I need.

Any ideas.

Graham.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 03:48:43 PM »

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 03:55:21 PM »
Maybe but the ones you suggest work with a 24V output from the dc drive, this one seems not to have one.

Or am I wrong?

Graham.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 04:55:06 PM »
Hi Graham, If your controller has a 0-10v for speed regulation you can connect one of those converters to run your controller from Mach3.

From the circuit you posted it looks like there is a 0-10v connection, measure the voltage on the 2 wires (high voltage precautions taken) and adjust the spindle speed, if the voltage changes from 0 to 10v then this is ideal.

The first converter uses step and direction signals from Mach and the second one can use a verity of ways.

The second converter can use PWM from Mach and this is ideal for using G96 on a lathe.

Have a read of there literature on the converters.

cheers
John

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 05:53:33 PM »
HI Graham, either of those will work fine. The digi speed xl seems a little more feature laden but the cnc4pc one would work too. The 24 volt that you were looking at is kind of mis leading. It is simply the common on the relay the ccw is the nc side of the relay and the cw is the nc. He called it 24 volt because that is what most vfd's use for their switching input voltage.

Looking at your pictures and your schematic it will be no big deal to get mach controlling your spindle with either. I would be happy to help. I also see in your pic of the 0- to 10 board the little white ic is a optocoupler, that means that it is indeed isolated from the 240 vac coming in to the other pins of that board. If you don't care about reversing the spindle then it is just a couple of wires to hook up if you do we just will need to dig a little deeper and figure out what voltage that reversing relay needs to trip it. We might need to add another relay in the mix just to keep mains (possibly) of of the speed control board. either way no big deal, you lucked out on the speed controller for your lathe they couldn't have made it any easier to interface with mach.

Chad

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 06:29:14 PM »
Hi Chad,

Thanks for the offer of help, I need it.

I am a mechanical engineer and software developer (payroll, invoice, database etc), my electronics is limited. Basic electrics is no problem.

As luck would have it I have a ModIO and a DigiSpeed XL, so it would be nice to use these,  by the way this is a mill so I will want to reverse the spindle for tapping.

I have had a look at the switching relay (RL3) and it is a 24V coil

The power rail in the machine has 5, 12, 24, 40 volt dc.

Thanks

Graham.

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 06:16:49 AM »
Just let me know when you are ready to put it in and we will figure it out

Chad

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 02:42:51 AM »
Thanks Chad,

It will be about a week, I am just getting all the crap out of the control cabinet at the moment.

Quick question :-

What is the purpose of a 80mh 6A choke ?

Thanks

Graham.