Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:06:34 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 - G540 - Altronix RDC48  (Read 3845 times)

Mach 3 - G540 - Altronix RDC48
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:32:18 PM »
One reason I hate to leave a small job running is because I hate to leave the spindle going after the job is done.  I've been thinking I need to add a relay to turn on and off my spindle (and coolant later) at the beginning and end of a job at the very least. 

The Altronix RDC48 looks like the ideal relay for the job.  Its 48VDC operation so I should be able to run it off the same power supply everything else runs off of.  Maybe throw a diode or an MOV across whatever switch I use to trigger it to protect the switch.  The coil only draws 20 mills so that's probably just paranoid overkill, but still...  Since its only 20 mills i really don't need to worry about the load on the power supply. 

Its rated for 10 amps on the contacts so it should be able to handle my palm router spindle just fine, or my lighter duty rotary shaft motors.  My only concern would be arc carboning the contacts.  Since the router is soft start that might not be such a big deal. 

So...  on a G540 what pins/terminals are available for triggering it, and how would I configure Mach to do the job automatically at the beginning and end of every code file? 

Since its DPDT I could use it to switch both my coolant pump and my spindle.  Maybe add a seperate switch to the coolant pump for when I want to dry cut. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 - G540 - Altronix RDC48
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
Is this a 48VDC coil? If it is then you will need to use another relay to switch that one will you not?

Configuring is easy, Config menu, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup then uncheck Disable Spindle Relays. You then put the output number there that you will use. Next go to Inputs tab and enter the port and pin you will use to connect the relays coil to.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:44:11 PM »
Is this a 48VDC coil? If it is then you will need to use another relay to switch that one will you not?

Why?

Configuring is easy, Config menu, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup then uncheck Disable Spindle Relays. You then put the output number there that you will use. Next go to Inputs tab and enter the port and pin you will use to connect the relays coil to.
Hood

And how does that correlate to terminals on the G540?   Or are you saying I have to add a breakout between the LPT port and the G540 and pull directly off the LPT pin?  Then I would understand the why of your previous comment/question. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 07:48:43 PM »
I know nothing of the G540 but if its just a standard output you will be using to operate the relay it will need a 5v coil on the relay. If the G540 already has a relay output then that is what you would use. If the contact rating of the G540 relay is not enough to handle your spindle then you will need the relay you mentioned above.

As said I know nothing about the G540 so just covering all options :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »
Ok just downloaded the G540 manual and it has outputs capable of handling up to 50VDC so you will be fine :)

Hood
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:54 AM »
That's kinda what I was getting at, but I'm not sure what to program to operate those outputs. 
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 12:49:22 AM »
Never mind.  Its pretty much spelled out in the manual.  I had not looked at it since I initially hooked it up and got it working.