Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:33:55 PM

Author Topic: Sherline rotary table on a 3 axis mill running Mach3.  (Read 19984 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Sherline rotary table on a 3 axis mill running Mach3.
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
Btw I use my Sherline rotary table occasionally as you intend to do. It is actually pretty fun and allows the Sherline to actually cut pretty fast in relation to not spinning the part. I am/was just beginning to hand code to accomplish wrench flats and such. Quite different than Cad but still cool. Enjoy.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »
 ;)   I’m using my mill for a little more than a year now. No problems with anything so far.
I’m a watchmaker (hobbyist) doing engravings and 3D machining. Having fun and trying new things. Trying to introduce rotary table to my setup but never done setup, modeling or machining with it. Ordered Sherline rotary table (Sherlinedirect.com running special in October). Talk to them and found out that table has 6 wires coming out of motor.  My Xylotex board has 4 wires input per axis. Trying to figure out how to rewire or make an adaptor to run 6 wires table on 4 wires board.
Glad.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »
Glad,
You can wire the motors differently depending on what motor characteristics you want. The Gecko site provides a nice read on the advantages and
disadvantages of wiring them differently. In the end you'll only use 4 wires to the drive.
RICH

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »
Thanks Rich.
I'll definitely check Gecko site.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 06:13:16 AM »
From Stepper Motor Basics / Gecko site

RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
Rich, Funny you show that. I run my Sherline table with my Hobby Cnc Pro controller and it works great. Recentlly I configured a G540 to another machine of mine (Dyna DM2400) and all 3 axis work except the A though I am not sure why just yet. I would enjoy doing a back to back test of the Hobby Cnc Pro against the G540 with the same power supply. I like the G540 and its simplicity but havent seen any performance advantages. I cant really compare apples to apples though since the machines are entirely different regarding leadscrews and gear reductions. I dont really want to do the comparo, just curious of the differences. I really havent tried to analyze the issue or even double checked that output of the G540 with a known good configuration for a stepper (swapping x,y and or z into the A port and changing the tuning values). I was in the process of building jumpers and other small wiring jobs and briefly tested it. Because I am using the stepper on 2 different machines, my jumpers can and or will vary the pins and hopefully it will work. Not high on the priority list just yet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:19:37 AM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 02:52:32 PM »
Fastest1 , RICH, can I use program like ArtCam or Phino to create a tool path for the rotary table? Or it has to be done in Mach3 or similar software?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:13 PM »
Glad,
I know nothing about ArtCam or Rhino. In general i would  say that as long as the program can generate the Gcode in a format
supported by  Mach and your machne is setup accordingly it should work.

RICH

Offline Glad

•  19 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 06:23:46 PM »
Thanks RICH.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 07:26:15 AM »
Cnc Wrapper and BobCad both have a wrapping feature. Others I am not sure of. Besides the hand coding that I have done with the rotary table, I  have never really used it. I did do a small cylinder with some engraving around it mostly as a test.