Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:24:10 AM

Author Topic: Huge Threading Problem Help  (Read 21603 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Threading Problem Help
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
Thanks a lot for the help!!!

I'll look at the program and pages you scanned now.

@Hood, I went ahead and threaded at 200 RPM 16 TPI with 8 passes and it came out fine, thanks. The only thing is the last 2 or 3 passes vibrated the machine a ton. I guess it could be one of two things, either my bit is not exactly on center or that's when it's topping the thread. I persisted and reran the program and it did fine. Still a tiny bit of vibration at the end of the run, mind you I do 6 spring passes to clean it up so it's probably just rubbing.

Two important questions, will upgrading to the newer Mach mess up any settings, macros or VB buttons I run? Also what will exact stop do for regular lathe work when not threading, do I keep exact stop on all the time? Thanks again.

You may need to upp the passes a bit but personally I would cut down on the springs, I normally only do one but again its all dependant on your machinery so messing around with things is really the only way to find out what is best for you.

Shouldnt have any probs with upgrading, just make sure you have any custom things backed up first just in case the worst happens.

Hood
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
OK, I upgraded to the 3.042.040 version and everything is the same. I already had Spindle Speed Averaging on.

So the only thing I need to know do I keep exact stop on while doing regular lathe stuff?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 07:24:38 PM »
I tend to work in exact stop on my lathe but as I have fairly fast acceleration and the lathe is a big lump it works fine. Try both G61 and G64 and see which works best for you.
Hood
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »
OK, so I know there is an exact stop and CV mode in general settings, but are you saying I should change it in Gcode?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
BTW wondering what a 9x20 lathe is as I think you call things out differently there. I know the 20 is the between centres but is the 9 centre height or turning Dia? Just trying to get an idea of the size of lathe.
Hood
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 07:28:45 PM »
turning diameter, may be small but I've made some very complex precision parts over the years.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
Yes you can change in code, have a G61 and all code after that point will be exact stop until that is you call a G64 which will put things back to CV.
If your default in General Config is CV it will start up that way next time you start Mach.
Hood
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:50 PM »
OK great, now I just have to setup my motor plate so I can pulleys. Thanks a lot.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
turning diameter, may be small but I've made some very complex precision parts over the years.

My first ever lathe was a drummond M type and I did some crazy  huge stuff that should never have been attempted ;D Thing is you have to work with what you have and if you mess around you can usually find a way to make things work..

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Sounds like your on a roll......
Have fun,

BTW, i will probably move this thread over to the problems threading on the lathe thread.
Will keep it here until your happy all is going well.

RICH