Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 07:26:37 PM

Author Topic: Has ANYONE gotten a MaxNC15 CL to work?  (Read 9600 times)

Offline Tj256

•  45 45
    • View Profile
Re: Has ANYONE gotten a MaxNC15 CL to work?
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
I've scoped out the controller and it seems to take quadrature from MaxNC. The actual loop closing is done in their controller. It seems like it will retry a few times if the stepper doesn't actually move, but it gives up and kills that axis in the event of an "error".  All this happens internally in their PIC chip, located in the box on the back of the machine.

I can run 99% successfully with an external power supply, replacing their internal one which seems woefully inadequate at 4 amps, 12 volts. Especially considering the geckodrive runs at 48 volts and 10 amps to do the same thing.

I'm running Mach III Version R3.033, and my xml file is attached.

I think they're underdriving their motors, missing steps, and throwing up their hands.  Maybe this is something that can be fixed via their tech support but I can't even get in contact with them.  I'm ripping it off and installing geckodrive :-P

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
TJ,
I deliberately didn't comment on the power supply. It's an issue by itself in my opinion. I agree with you that it is inadequate, and frankly, they should address that issue, or at the very least provide their reasoning behind the design / selection for it being adequate and why it should not be considered a problem.

There is plenty of info to be found on the Gecko site, their drives are highly rated, and they do respond with advice relative to their products.
That's my experience as a hobbiest with Gecko and hopefully yours will be the same.

BTW, i thank you keeping things in the context of getting your machine up and running and not washing dirty laundry here.
RICH

Offline Tj256

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
Rich,

Gecko has been amazing. I've gotten personal attention from their engineers like you wouldn't believe. Their customer service is top notch as are their products. I can't say enough good things about them. This is even before I have the thing completely running, but I don't have any worries that it won't work.

I do have theory on why my machine is broken out of the box-- It was ordered with the more powerful motors. I suspect that if I hadn't ordered that option, things might actually have worked.  But that's only a theory.

I'm a hobbiest CNC guy at the moment. Dreams of making prototypes of a product. So I invested quite a bit of cash (for me) in this machine. So it was pretty earth shattering to discover that it didn't work right. But fortunately there are so many inexpensive options for drivers, and the MachIII software is so flexible, I am not worried that I'll get her up and running.

I did speak with one of the engineers (Chris) some time ago at MaxNC before my order shipped. They turned me on to MachIII and said it worked fine with their machine. They acknowledged that their old DOS solution needed to be replaced, and the two options seemed to be their own custom software running on Win95, DOS, or purchasing one of their custom laptops set up with Win95 (no networking). He mentioned they were working on a new controller box that plugged into the PC via USB. Now *THAT* sounds like the controller I want.  ;)

I hope they're doing fine. Like I said, I fell in love with my MaxNC10 but I'm just very confused as to why this new machine has had so many issues and no response for so long from MaxNC. I have to say I'm a bit upset, but that doesn't really help. At this point I just want to do what I need to and move on.

Offline Tj256

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »
I hope that didn't count as dirty laundry :)

Anyway, thanks for the help Rich!

Offline Tj256

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
I've got my GeckoDrive G540 up and running on one axis so far, and the difference is amazing. The original MaxNC drives whined very loudly and ran the motors with a growling sound. The Geckodrives don't whine at all, and produce a very satisfying hum when running. This is even before I've tried to tune them up by adjusting the trim pot. I'm actually glad the original drivers blew up because even if they were working, I would never go back. I also have much more holding torque than before, especially given that I'm running at 48 volts, 1.7 amps, up from 12 volts 1 amp.

The big question is whether or not I am missing steps: Will this new controller experience the same problems the MaxNC controller was experiencing? I am going to be no, but I can't be sure until I try to do repeatability tests. There is still a chance the MaxNC controller was shutting down because the motors were binding randomly from some mechanical issue with my machine. But that seems unlikely.

I am also unsure what to do with my encoders. I don't really want to abandon them, and hope I can make use of them at least for some kind of check that shuts down MachIII if the motors get out of sync with the position.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
Tj256,

Glad to hear that you are getting it sorted - I don't think you will be disappointed with the Gecko's, plenty of folks using them with no problems.
(MaxNC started getting into trouble a year or so back, eventually found it too much and went fishing around mid 2010).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »
I was reading through the thread and I'm glad you are having luck with the Gecko. I have been renewing my interest in CNC with my MAX10 I bought back in '05, but never really used. Gecko from what I have gathered, was going to be my backup plan should the original controller give out.

The time period that you were having issues with your machine was as Tweakie put it, when MaxNC "went fishing." From what I have learned through the yahoo MaxNC group, the company was sold back to the original owners and is open again operating under the name Ximotion. Their website (ximotion.com) is very thin at the moment, and I haven't seen any changes on it in the weeks that it has been up. I'm hoping that a revival is the works.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
you cant go wrong with putting the G540 on the maxnc, it will be a world of difference.  I myself have a very long history with the JUNK maxnc puts into their controllers.  it is just that.... JUNK.  They dont last, mine blew out twice within the first year.  You cannot get support, and if you do, it takes months on turn around.  But, if you want to spend money, they will answer the phone and emails!

I think i was the first one to put a G540 on a maxnc 15.  MAN OHHH MAN!!!!!!  Its a different machine when you do that!
I wonder if my conversion thread is still active on the cnczone.  If so, go look at what I was able to to.