Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:11:34 AM

Author Topic: Screen Not Working, No Moves...  (Read 18373 times)

Re: Screen Not Working, No Moves...
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 04:17:07 PM »
Hank,
I'm unsure how to help you at this moment. In a prior post in this thread, you requested one on one assistance:
Dave,
I thought about this, and if you want to work through this, I'm Game, just to see whats up with MY configuration, or what. Give me a PM, and I'll call you on a phone (MY DIME) and see if we can sort through this, if you want.

I responded to you offline to let you know that I could not do this in the immediate future as I needed to take a priority trip out of town for family reasons. You acknowledged that to me and so my understanding was that you were waiting until I could return and find time for some (free) one on one support.

Therefore I am a bit puzzled by your latest post in the thread. While I realize that it's hard to know what tone of voice to infer when reading an online post, your last post sounded to me as if you are feeling frustrated/angered by your experience with MSM. If that is indeed the case, I'm sorry to hear that.

When you write:
Now I'm staying with what I have and that's that.   Aint gunna work HERE.    And I Really don't think Mach has Anything to do with it............  end of story.
I read that as saying that you are done with MSM and no longer wish to figure out what problem you were experiencing.  That is your choice to make. 

If you should change your mind at a later date, let me know.
If I have time available then, I'll see what can be done to get you running with MSM.

Dave

Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:30:10 PM »
I thought of one more idea to offer re pulley speeds and MSM installs etc.

The only way I can think of that you could get the pully settings reset when installing MSM is if you are running the master MSM profile directly.
Please check that you are NOT starting mach with the profile "MachStdMill.xml".

One should never run Mach from the original master profiles (examples are MachStdMill.xml for MSM and Mach3Mill for 1024).

If you are using the master MSM profile, the installation instructions have not been followed correctly. I would then highly recommended a careful reread of section 5.2.10 of the MSM readme file - it gives detailed steps for making a profile to run MSM.

Any configuration changes made to a master profile are lost at the next install - as the master is overwritten by the installer.

FYI - I am adding a test to the next rev of MSM so that it will check for having been started from the master MSM profile.
I'll probably have MSM refuse to get past initialization in this case.

Dave

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 07:04:20 PM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 06:58:07 PM »
Dave,

AhHa,
Let me read the manual again,and see, If I am right, mach std mill is the only one, of the few others, that are in the mach loader.
This may seem likly the problem... Thanks for the heads up. I just was fooling with it again since noon, and will leave the rest of my hair in my head now. Good reference.    Thanks,   Hank S.
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »
Hi Dave

I never run MSM from the master directory. I always do an uninstall of MSM before going to the next beta release. Some how the MSM XML file is getting over written not sure how but I'll do some checking when I install Beta 12. I'll look at my link on my desktop and make sure it is pointing to the right XML file. Thanks.

Eric.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
Dave,

I checked the Mach directory and the MachStdMill.xml file is there and time stamped for today and last time I used MSM. I did an uninstall of MSM and checked the Mach directory and  MachStdMill.xml was gone. I installed beta 12 and  MachStdMill.xml is back but it is time stamped for some time in August. Windows is removing the  MachStdMill.xml file. It's not a biggy I have all my settings written down so it takes just a few minutes to get everything back up and running. Thanks.

Eric.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
Eric,
The MachStrdMill.xml file is the master profile for MSM. It is installed by the MSM install process, and it is removed when MSM is uninstalled as part of the uninstall process. the default location of the master file is c:\Mach3\MachStdMill.xml
The installation instructions (in the readme file) include steps to make a profile that you can put your machine specific settings into. There are two ways to do that - rather than my typing them here from memory, please refer to the readme file with the MSM installation instructions (Section 5.2.10).

I suspect that you have been running MSM with the master profile - and putting your machine specific settings into the master profile file.
That would explain why you loose settings when you install an MSM update. Every MSM install will overwrite the master profile - thus you are seeing your settings revert each time you do an update of MSM.

By following the installation instructions, one creates a custom (non-master) profile - that will not be overwritten when you next do an MSM update.

The good news is that you have gotten good at redoing your settings  ;)  the even better news is that if my theory is right, you'll ony have to do that once more and then the settings will stay the next time MSM is updated.  ;D

Dave

Dave,

I checked the Mach directory and the MachStdMill.xml file is there and time stamped for today and last time I used MSM. I did an uninstall of MSM and checked the Mach directory and  MachStdMill.xml was gone. I installed beta 12 and  MachStdMill.xml is back but it is time stamped for some time in August. Windows is removing the  MachStdMill.xml file. It's not a biggy I have all my settings written down so it takes just a few minutes to get everything back up and running. Thanks.

Eric.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:41:52 PM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 09:45:38 PM »
Eric,
there is no need to always uninstall MSM before installing an update.
The MSM installer is smart enough to check the currently installed MSM version and do an update.

If the installer requires an MSM uninstall first, it will tell you to uninstall and then run the MSM install again.
Additionally, if an uninstall is not required, the installer will happily update the current installed MSM version.

Dave

Hi Dave

I never run MSM from the master directory. I always do an uninstall of MSM before going to the next beta release. Some how the MSM XML file is getting over written not sure how but I'll do some checking when I install Beta 12. I'll look at my link on my desktop and make sure it is pointing to the right XML file. Thanks.

Eric.
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
Hi Dave,

So what you're saying is let MSM decide whether it needs an uninstall or not. In earlier versions of MSM you recommended an uninstall before upgrade. This will make things simpler in the future. Thanks.

Eric
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
Early during the beta program that was true - it was one of the things not yet implemented when the beta first started.
Later I improved the installer logic so MSM now knows what to do. Off the top of my head I don't remember in exactly which release that was added (it's in the release notes if anyone cares).

Right now the installer checks and if an uninstall is required, it puts up a dialog box to tell you; you then uninstall and restart the installer.
What I haven't done yet is have the installer do an automated, inline, uninstall when needed (that's on the "one day when I have nothing at all to do and feel like messing with the installer" to do list.

Dave

Hi Dave,

So what you're saying is let MSM decide whether it needs an uninstall or not. In earlier versions of MSM you recommended an uninstall before upgrade. This will make things simpler in the future. Thanks.

Eric

www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
Dave,
I had a chance to figure out what I was doing wrong,and finally got the screen to work. ''However'' in loading the screen from the mach loader,I find that the divice manager, the tell's you to choose printerport, or no devices, freezes, and the do not show me this again, I cannot click on it to do so. It wont let me, clicling on any of the buttons dont work, and just goes to the WhiteScreen and the loads. Next is the tool offset height, I always use 0.1 above the workpiece and is in the z safety at 0.5 which is in my programs GCode,never changed,and the result is, it is going 1.5 above the work piec and should'nt, I look all over the setting pages and status bars and cannot find how to change the setting. All the ZYZ A B C axis's are at 0.0000. loading a GCode that I always use,and did so before switching to MSM in the .1024 screen will not produce the 1.0000 rise in Z. Tried everything I know,and maybe thtas not enough,but dont know where esle to look. As for the screen itself, Great, just two things I cannot figure out.   Thanks,   Hank S.