Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:34:48 AM

Author Topic: PC built exclusively to run a CNC machine  (Read 5380 times)

PC built exclusively to run a CNC machine
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:27:52 PM »
Does anybody make a PC that is designed solely to run a CNC? I want t buy a PC that doesn't have all of the other crap that you get when you get one from the big box stores. I'd like to have something that can hold up. I have had nothing put PC problems the last two weeks, including a new PC acting up. I'm currently running my old PC to finish a job and I have seen it "stumble" three time in 36 minutes. I need to get something reliable or I will have to replace my current mill.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: PC built exclusively to run a CNC machine
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:12:29 AM »
I use the Via Pico motherboards in my machines, they are tiny (100mm x 75mm) but dont have parallel port so you need an external motion controller such as DSPMC

There is also a guy in the UK that sells small form pre configured PCs for Mach, do a google for Mach in a Box and you should come up with it.
Hood

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 08:18:54 AM »
If you go to the "Big Box Store" and tell them you want everything removed from the PC except for the Windows Operating System, their "Geeks" should be able to do exactly that before they deliver your new PC.  If they won't do that, then you can simply go into the "uninstall, Add Remove Programs" menu and remove everything yourself, expect for the stuff that has the name "Microsoft" in front of it.
That will give you a clean PC without all of the extra stuff that gets installed with many of the commercial programs.
George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »
Dave of:  "Dave Controls", sells a very nice industrial computer that comes burned in, tested with Mach3, at a very good price!! He fully stands behind it, and the service of it as well.

scott
fun times

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 01:04:37 PM »
I agree with Scott that is one sweet computer that Dave uses in his control setups. 

He spent a great deal of time working out the particulars to make SURE it did the job.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
Anybody have Dave's website, google doesn't bring him up.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 02:13:22 PM »
amd duel and quad core on msi mainboards work well for me. I build my own and have had no problems with ati or nvidia vid cards. i use win7 ultamate or pro and disable screensaver, set the power to high performance, use ms security esentials for free virus protection. the only and not hard at all is finding the ribbon cable for the p port. sheetcam meshcam deskproto turbocad all work well to. I do hate giving ms 200 for a licence though..

300-400 you can have a nice twin p port machine

One of mine has win7 and umbuntu 10, Mach deskcnc and emc and works as good as i can produce code for it........

ps auto update to never

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:54:13 PM »
Do a search on Colecontrols    (;-)    He is a great person to deal with, very up and up AND no bull.

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 10:17:44 PM »
Here's the website

http://dc9.tzo.com/colecontrols.htm

now only if I can find the price (why is everything  like searching for a needle in a haystack?)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »
On this page: http://dc9.tzo.com/Mach3%20PC100.htm

He mentions it's available on ebay by searching "Mach3 CNC PC", but nothing like that PC comes up in either active or completed items.

I would just give him a call or email to get some details on pricing.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)