Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:58:16 AM

Author Topic: Arduino Mega with MACH3  (Read 32810 times)

Arduino Mega with MACH3
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
I just ordered an Arduino Mega. When I saw the amount of public open source code, and hobby/robotics accessories available I had to try.

I found some MODBUS software, and the MACH3 can 'open' the board.
I am not a good programmer at all, but I want to try to get them talking. 
My plan is to try every combination of setting and jumpers on the board,and in MACH3  until I get some response.
If anyone has any better ideas or resources I am very interested

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Arduino Mega with MACH3
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 12:13:34 PM »
I've had a bit of a play with this http://sites.google.com/site/jpmzometa/arduino-mbrt - seems to do what it says on the tin.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »
Yes!  I have that program and I now have it working. The adruino is fantastic. So is the software. I am working on adding more modbus functions,. I have analog in working now, have constructed a wizard, will post it when done. One small puzzle?  I have to click OUTPUT in the brain editor mod bus setup dialog.
 to read the analog and post it to a DRO.

I also have a pokeys, and it's interesting to compare them. The PWM is much better on the Pokeys as it is 16 bit not 8 bit. I am also looking for encoder and mpg sub routines. For the adruino.  Having lots of fun for $60.

I wonder if someday I can use the  adruino to take the  place of a smooth stepper ? Of course I cannot write the code, just wondering. 

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 07:32:08 AM »
One small puzzle?  I have to click OUTPUT in the brain editor mod bus setup dialog.
 to read the analog and post it to a DRO.
Can't help you there - never used brians  :)

I wonder if someday I can use the  adruino to take the  place of a smooth stepper ? Of course I cannot write the code, just wondering.  
Hmmmmm - doubt it. Remember the serial connection to the Arduino is actually just RS232 over USB (if that's the correct way of putting it) so I don't think you would get the speed apart from anything else - but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:56:47 AM by stirling »
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
Is it the serial connection or crystal that matters when it comes to clock speed? What speed does Mach3 require?

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
My thinking was that both need to be at least considered for a generalized solution. Consider the activity on the serial line as commanded moves get smaller.

Ian

Offline TimGS

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
I would like to use an Arduino Mega 2560 to control the stepper motors, homing switches and extruder/laser output via mach 3 without rewiring to a parallel port.  Understanding that it would take a different firmware load on the Arduino to change it from a gcode interpreter to a hardware controller (similar to the smoothstepper).

Has anyone done this?

Why?  I have two 3D printers and I am building a laser cutter with Arduino Mega 2560 controller.