Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:12:55 PM

Author Topic: anyone know where to get an optical edge finder?  (Read 68502 times)

Re: anyone know where to get an optical edge finder?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 02:47:54 PM »
Here's what I am talking about, it looks like this:

You put it in a collet and into the spindle, then look through the top window.  You see a crosshair in it magnified and simply move the table while looking through it to line the edge or corner of the part up with the crosshairs.  Because its under magnification, you can get it very accurately located, and quickly. 

Hood

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 02:51:35 PM »
Thanks Graham.

mbwittig
 I often see them on eBay in the UK but they tend to go for silly money.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 02:54:43 PM »
whats its proper name, do you know hood?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2006, 02:55:29 PM »
I know what you are asking about, but the last time one of them was used Noah was building a boat ;)

I don't think anybody makes new ones, all the second user ones have been dropped and are not accurate  :(

Try the modern versions  :)

Graham.

Without engineers the world stops

Hood

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »
Sorry been trying to remember what they are called, I think the ones I saw were made by Hedenhein (sp?) but I did a quick search and came up with this, not sure if its the same thing as from initial reading it sounds like it projects the crosshair image to the workpiece.
http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/products/products.cfm?categoryID=6254
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 11:14:24 PM »
I used a USB video camera and it seemed to work very well :) You need to have it straight but that is not hard to do.. there is a video window in mach3 :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 05:48:26 PM »
If you are still looking, Fine Centering Scope.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=GY06539332 ;D

$189.00
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 08:45:28 AM »
Check out Edmund Suuply, they are an Optical supply house with about anything in optics, Might go on google and check optical tooling, I have one (not for sale and is geart for setups on milling.
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 08:05:55 PM »
also known as a centering scope. See page 1394 of MSN current catalog, they have one listed. check www.mscdirect.com or call 800-645-7270.
the other possible source is edmund scientific www.edmund scientific.com....good luck, woudn't part with one once you get your hands on one..
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 08:07:44 PM by technicrdd »

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 11:43:45 AM »
This is what I am using, it is a $19 usb camera,  it will focus up to 1/8" from your target ( maybe even closer, I haven't tried closer because it blocks out all the light the closer you get).  I mounted it on a shaft with three adjustment screws.   All you do is chuck it up in your spindle lower down to your target and get it focused.  Then first time you need to center it, do this by adjusting the three screws so
that when you rotate the spindle 360 deg by hand, the crosshairs stay in the exact same position.  When that is done you have a mighty fine optical positioning device.  I attached a picture of the camera, note the adjusting screws.  Also is a screen shot of the actual video window,  it is focused on a metal ruler, mm scale,  the lines are 25.4 mils apart.