Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:57:44 AM

Author Topic: anyone know where to get an optical edge finder?  (Read 68514 times)

Offline ardor

•  130 130
    • View Profile
Re: anyone know where to get an optical edge finder?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2007, 02:40:06 PM »
Just bought one of these little puppy's for $18.91 delivered.

Got it here
http://www.provantage.com/micro-innovations-ic435c~7MCRC00V.htm

Edit:  They had 168 of them in stock.
Edit:  167 now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:50:48 PM by ardor »
There is no approved dental use for WD40
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »
zar - please post a copy of the sketch of the shaft and adjustment attachment you mentioned.

Thanks

Bob@BobsShop - Always looking for the Edge and the Center

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »
Here is a sketch of the shaft,

I use a 3 -48 screw, it fits real nicely inside the camera.  Leave the screw a little loose.  You can even put the screw in the camera and glue it.  Then when the glue is set, gently screw it to your shaft leaving it just loose enough to deflect around. 

The set screws should be placed 3 each 120 deg apart.  screw them up snug to keep the camera steady and then start fine tuning the center. 

You center it by chucking it up in the spindle,  use your jog to center the crosshairs over a reference mark.  Then rotate the spindle by hand 180 deg.  the crosshairs will probably wander off the reference mark.  adjust the set screws to get 1/2 of the distance back towards  your mark.  Then rotate 180 again.  Use your jog controls to get back to the mark and repeat the steps until it doesnt move off the mark.  The distance you are off of the mark when you rotate is the amount of accuracy you have.

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 09:58:28 AM »
Is there any reason that the camera cannot be mounted offset from the spindle and pointed down at the 0,0 point with a 60° to 80° angle in a more permanent installation?
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer
Onsrud & Custom CNC tooling Distributor

Wichita/Derby Kansas
http://www.beckwithdecor.com

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 10:25:25 AM »
Someone else talked about this a little.  You can mount it offset from the spindle center but then you will need to measure and account for your offset.  You will still want it pointing straight down, not at an angle,  because at an angle the center will move as you move your z heigth. 

I thought of doing it that way but it was not possible to have my camera 1/4" or closer to the target (which you will need to get the fine resolution of .001 or less) and mounted permanently.   If resolution is not that critical you don't have to be so close to the workpiece 1" or greater, you could probably mount it permanently and use your tool offsets to account for camera position offset.

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »
Thanks Zarzul,  I was thinking more along the lines of a camera with a higher magnification that could be mounted to the y carriage which would have a focal point of 8 to 10 inches.
This would then be fixed closer to a 80° angle. I believe someone suggested a long barrel type camera that is used on RV's etc for backing up, not sure where I read that to go back and find.
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer

Wichita/Derby Kansas

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »
Gary,

I suppose if you were mounting to your Y axis you wouldn't have any changes in heigth, except for material thickness variations. 

Arnie

Offline GaryB

•  108 108
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 12:00:01 PM »
Thanks Arnie, will have to do so playing with this one... I think it will work with the right camera
Beckwith Decor Products
ArtCam Trainer

Wichita/Derby Kansas

Offline John S

•  111 111
  • Nottingham England
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 06:24:14 AM »
Here's the one I built out of one of those eyeball camera's

Don't laugh about it being crude as it works and was probably the first one to use the video window with Mach3 as I contacted Art to see if Mach could use an outside application we were playing with.
The rest is history thanks to Art.

It's just a steel 'pot' with 4 M4 holes tapped in so it adjusts like a 4 jaw. The camera is off the shelf but just had the back sawn off with a hacksaw :D This one is on a 5/8" spigot so it fits any collet you want to use although that's not written in stone.

It does work and works very well, it goes to shows with us on a converted X3 mill and this together with thread milling are the two main interests shown by potential customers to Mach3.

John S.