Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:39:06 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 Motor Calibration  (Read 12553 times)

Mach 3 Motor Calibration
« on: July 29, 2010, 08:59:11 AM »
I was told to calibrate the motors on my Dyna and I'm not 100% sure on how to do that. i took measurements on the distance it says it traveled and the distance it actually traveled. Now i am stuck. is there somewhere where i put those ratios of those numbers or is there something else completely that i need to do.

Thanks

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 Motor Calibration
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
Steppers or servo motors?

RICH
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »
Stepper

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »
From memory so hope the following is correct,
You put a desired moved value in for the axis, Mach reports back and says here how far it moved, if you agree with reported move distance , click yes, then it will ask if you want to save the steps per unit and will change the steps per unit in motor tuning.  If the moved value is not what you input, then put that  value in and try again. Very quickly Mach will find the steps per unit value which is correct for the movement you wanted.

RICH
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 11:21:01 AM »
alright, thanks a lot
Mach 3 Motor Calibration
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:25:43 AM »
Hi there!
I am following this procedure, however it only moves very small distances. Let me explain this better.
When Mach3 asks me to write how for I would like to move the axis, I am using 100 (in), and the actual movemen.5
t is around 0.5 in. so Mach3 displays 40000. Accepting this parameter, moving the machine 1 unit (g0 x1.0 f50) should be moving the machine exactly 1 unit in the x-direction, However, this is not the case.
What am I doing wrong?

I will appreciate any help to this matter.

Thank You

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »
Eduarado,
Mach will increase or decrease the steps based on actual movement. If your way off in your steps per inch to begin with then you may need to use the calibration more than once to get it right on. I assume you resolved the other problems you had regarding your machine.

RICH
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 10:17:21 AM »
Thank You very much for your answer,
Yes, I have been making improvements, now I am building a plasma machine which is 9ft x 6 ft (approx). I have followed your suggestion and my machine is by far working better.

What I am trying now is to implement the following  features in this laser machine:

1) Stopping when the torch stops, so the G code would be easy to find to continue on.

If you have any suggestion how to implement this, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank You.

Eduardo
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »
something that I found when calbrating my machine, when you have a large change in steps you will need to go back and adjust your motor volocity, or you stepper will miss steps and only move a very short distance.
David