Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:57:33 PM

Author Topic: Mesa card plugin  (Read 29872 times)

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: Mesa card plugin
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
The only board that I know of that might work with both is the Mesa.  You can try the plugin, if you want.  It moves motors on my system.  I just have not tried it on a mill where the motors are actually hooked up to something.

Otherwise, the DSPMC and the Galil are good choices that work perfectly with Mach.

Steve

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
Thank you very much, Steve
Patrick
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:41 PM »
I have an old 4-axis mill with Siemens PMDC servo drives using +/-10V input. What do I need from the Mesa stable, to drive the 4-axes and about 50 odd I/O with Mach3?
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
I am starting a new mill project and looking for a Mesa card plugin. Where can I find it?

Thanks, Frank

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 02:12:01 PM »
Since I could not support the Mesa plugin (a grand lack of time), I have not released it.  It really needs a good Beta process to perfect it.  Meaning as it sits right now, it probably will have quite a few issues.  As the plugin was designed to run analog servo systems (does not support steppers), I found that most of my time was spent helping people tune their PID values.  And I found myself chasing issues that were not issues with the Mesa plugin (or the Mesa cards) but instead were issues with people not understanding what they were getting into.  Not that I wasn't willing to help them through it, but I simply just don't have the time to do so. 

The Mesa products are really good!  And Mesa deserves to have a plugin that is as good as their products are.  It would not be fair to Mesa to release the plugin and have a bunch of unhappy people that can't get their systems up and running just because I don't have the time to do it.

So in order to make the Mesa plugin a reality, it needs to have a better support structure.  Meaning more more than just me.  It is my hope that some company capable of providing this support will take challenge and make it a reality.  Maybe Newfangled Solutions itself will so this.  But right now, the Mach 4 development is the priority. 

Steve
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
Oh, that is  not good news. I hope there will be a solution for Mesa in Mach 3/4 in the future. I'll start digging into the LinuxCNC solution for Mesa then.

Thanks, Frank