Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:04:29 PM

Author Topic: quilting or embroidery machine  (Read 23156 times)

Re: quilting or embroidery machine
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »
Hi Eclipze

We just used Autocad DXF file output to design Patterns for our Resta commercial machine. There are lots of programs that output DXF.

Our method was first to draw the pattern using any line type on a layer.

Then create a new layer and drawing on that layer trace over the previously drawn sketch using one or more continuous poly line and arc paths (using arcs and lines only). You only need to create a new path if you need to jump over the pattern without stitching some patterns never stopped at all no jumps is ideal if you can design it so.

Once the design was finished we deleted the sketch layer, exported the DXF file and converted it to Resta code A non standard G code. We developed that inhouse using VB.

There are a number of DXF to G code converters, Hopefully they will be fine with Mach.

Cheers
John McNamara

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 06:01:08 AM »
Thanks John.  I can certainly use that method to generate some patterns from drawings.  I can redraw or vectorise bitmap data, and subsequently generate gcode via my usual CNC machining software.  However I need something much more basic for my sister to use, and something that doesn't involve needing me in the loop.  Which mean importing existing patterns she finds on the net and or buys, then modifying to suit and generate the run file (gcode).  I expect the solution is to have a program like Art and Stitch to handle the import of various file formats, provide all the drawing and layout tools, then a DXF to gcode convertor to generate the code.  Hoping someone has some experience or options on this topic.
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 07:30:13 AM »
Hi Eclipze

I Am not familiar with Art and stitch.

I have read that Dasault Draftsight (A free program) gives the ability to draw over an existing bitmap placed in the background on screen, as does AutoCad. I use this feature in AutoCad to draw over complex decorative shapes in Architecture. Just remember to scale the bitmap to the correct overall size before drawing the stitch path over it.

A long time back I used Corel draw to "vectorise" images.... Hmm it never worked very well, it created hundreds of short lines, and cleaning them up took forever. no good for a stitching program that ideally has a continuous line.

As mentioned scaling is very important, Your sister will have to know the finished size of the article before starting a design. The finished size is not the stitched size, She will find that once removed from the frame the article will shrink, between 4 and 10% depending on the thickness of the materials and the wadding. Once she has made a few this will become obvious.

You may like to mention to her that any design that has high density (lines close together) stitching in one place and widely spaced lines in another will will create a dimpled appearance due to the shrinkage mentioned above varying from one area to another. 

I fear your sister is in for a learning curve to learn the steps to get from design to machine, If this is to be a business it will be worth the effort.

Art and stitch at nearly a thousand bucks (950) is not cheap, Using a free cad program and DXF to G code converter for mach would remove that cost, and in the end she will have better control.

The is no need to learn the an entire CAD program, just learn the steps to get the job done...... starting at zero (0,0) lines, arcs, setting and scaling a bitmap,exporting to dxf layers and saving for a start, although once you start it is a great tool if you make things, she may get bitten by the bug.

Maybe I have missed it in the thread but I would be interested to hear how the machine is set up?

Cheers
John

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 08:08:35 AM »
Thanks John.  We are on the same page.  While I can generate the gcode using my tools, it's not an option for her.  She needs a quilting package to play with.  I need to provide a DXF to gcode convertor to run with Mach3 to close the loop (without me in the middle).  This is for her business.  $18k for the Innova automation package is just not an option.  Particularly when the same functionality can be provided at a much lower cost.  But really need the quilting software to "enable" her to make good unrestricted use of the automation.
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2015, 12:59:28 AM »
Hi All

I am working on a quilting machine design. I just set up a breadboard system using MACH3 Smooth Stepper and a Homann designs MB02 Break out board. Running on a fresh 7 windows install to a clean hard disk.

I am using Brushed DC servos and Leadshine DCS 810 drives. Brushed is still a fair bit less expensive than AC brushless.

Its all up and running on the desk beside me.

To make a test pattern I used AutoCAD to draw a simple Diamond design, having done thousands of them in the past a few minutes work. There are only 2 polylines used The central pattern and the border. In the past I used a post processor Written in VB to generate machine code for a proprietary Italian Resta Machine (Not Gcode). This post processor was set up to "follow" polylines, only stopping at the beginning and end. In AutoCAD a polyline can have many segments compared to a line in AutoCAD that is a single object. (Polylines can include arcs).

Using polylines gives good control of the machine, For this test only two; and the starts and ends are all near zero. The pattern design does close the start and ends touch however they are not joined.

So what to use as a post processor? I tried the Lazycam beta program available when you install Mach, It worked!
But don't get excited yet, While it flawlessly converted the DXF file from AutoCAD (Saved as version 12) and ran on the test bed strange things happened.... The zero point was moved to the right hand side of the of the design and it started there, and it did not start at the beginning of the polylines it reordered the segments.

I am not familiar with LazyCam, there may be settings to correct the above inconsistencies. If anyone is more familiar with it can offer a suggestion I would appreciate it.

However settings or not it does the job and would machine the correct pattern. There will just be more jumps than needed. Note the pattern is 3365 mm wide by 3810 mm High. Jumps matter!

The final test will be to understand How accurate the constant velocity setting is in Mach ? from what I have read this is the best currently available option?

There is mention of the requirement in the Mach Laser setting?

As has been discussed a lot in this forum (Run a search on Quilting) It is very important the stitch length is maintained at all times irrespective of the feed.

In a perfect world one of the spare axis could be set to this mode.

Thinking on it there are many applications where some sort of work head speed has to be accurately correlated with the feed vector.

Applying Paint, Glue or other materials
Laser or flame cutting.
Sewing
Sign writing
There must be more

Regards
John

I tried to upload he image below to the page as an IMG but it did not work

Hyperlink worked...
http://www.mediafire.com/view/nil9a4j1ao22319/Quilt.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9vs61pvj21i8f3c/quilt_test_A.dxf
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:15:29 AM by John Mac »
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »
Larry
I hope that this thread is not dead.  I was wondering if you ever posted the new screen buttons that you mentioned as this is exactly what I am looking for.

Tim (Pcbguro)
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 08:51:46 AM »
Hi
I have attached a photo of a RESTA H220 control panel

As you can see it is written in Italian however it is easy to translate. The section marked Automatico is for downloading programs from the control system. You can ignore that section as it would be covered by Mach3 or 4

The section marked Semiautomatico contains buttons that allow you to move forward = Avanti, backwards = indertro, along the stitch line.
The repositionmento button allows you to move to the last known position where the the machine stopped within a running program, not after a reset.

The red buttons are just lights.

This system was developed over 20 years ago. However it has great functionality from an operators perspective.

See my earlier comments in this post for a fuller description.

Regards
John

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:05:07 AM by John Mac »