Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:57:25 AM

Author Topic: auto Z setter adjusting  (Read 16254 times)

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
auto Z setter adjusting
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:55:45 AM »
I have noticed that auto z setting is not accurate on our router.  In the near future plans are to to do some engraving so z tolerance. will be very important.  How do I go about correcting this.  Is there a setting that can be adjusted in the program and if so where is it.  We now use a .125 plate and it seems to be off about .0100.  This hasn't been a problem since any work we did was not critical on the Z. Any help would be a blessing, thanks in advance.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: auto Z setter adjusting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 06:39:29 AM »
Hi Bogie,

There have been many changes to the Auto Tool Zero macro in recent months in the light of problems that were experienced by some users.
My latest version is attached and as it is commented and if you wish to use it you should be able to change the parameters to suit your application. Alternately by comparison you should be able to see where to modify your existing macro to correct for your error.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:32:44 AM »
Attached is the Z Zero code that I am using.  It automatically detects if you are running Imperial or Metric.  It does a double touch, to assure exact touch point.  It is always accurate within .001 and very repeatable.

Code was originally written by BigTEX with modifications that I added a couple of months or so back.

Also make sure you are using the "locked down" version of Mach3 as well.

One last thing to check.  Under Config/General Configuration I have to make the Debounce Interval and Index both at 5000 or a bit higher to make sure there is no noise being detected which will upset the Z Zero point as well.

Hopefully one of these things will help you overcome your accuracy problem with your Z Touch routine.

George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:28:46 PM »
How do I use this ?  It seems it is a txt file and I would use it as if it were a G code program file.  Am I correct?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »
Hi Bogie,

No you are not correct - They are VB code and must be put into the 'Auto Zero Button' on the Mach screen.

Within Mach click:-  Operator / Edit Button Script - (the VB buttons will flash) then click on the Auto Tool Zero button - your macro will be in there and that is where you make the corrections etc (don't forget to save it).

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline BOGIE

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:44:26 PM »
Do I just copy this file to that area and over write what's their.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
Hi Bogie,

I suggest you make a copy of what is there already and save it for safety.
Look at my macro and see where the changes have to be made to suite your machine (all units in my macro are metric - change them to inch units if that is what you require). You will certainly want to change the plate thickness.
Then copy and past it into the button - you can always make corrections as you test it but do not use a good cutter for testing just in case things go pear shaped  ;)

Tweakie.

btw. If you post a copy of your existing macro I will look at it and suggest what changes are needed to correct your error.
PEACE

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »
Hi BOGIE:
If you are using my Z Zero routine there is some additional information you need to set your Z Axis height after the touch.

In the code look for "ZNew = Plate Offset + .937  This is in the Imperial section at the top of page.

You will need to change the number .937 to compensate for the touch plate thickness and your new Z height after the touch.

Here is how it works.
My touch plate is .063 thick.  I wanted to withdraw the Z Axis to 1 inch above the work surface.  I subtracted .063 from 1 inch, the result, .937 goes in the line of code.

So to set your final Z height after touch, subtract your touch plate height from the final height you want Z to go to and put that number in the "ZNew" line in the VB Code.

As my routine does both Imperial and Metric in the same routine, for Metric you need to go down further in the program and do the same calculations, using Metric numbers, in place of the "20" shown there now.

Hope this helps,
George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 05:03:47 PM »

Under Config/General Configuration I have to make the Debounce Interval and Index both at 5000 or a bit higher to make sure there is no noise being detected which will upset the Z Zero point as well.

Just for your info George,

Debounce setting has no direct bearing on the probe input.

Greg
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:05:37 PM by Greolt »
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 05:42:27 PM »
Does debounce come into use only if he is using a micro switch to detect instead of completing a circuit by shorting an input?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 05:48:05 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »