Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:58:21 AM

Author Topic: Announcement: MachStdMill screen set - release target  (Read 19080 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement: MachStdMill screen set - release target
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 07:49:34 AM »
Dave,
Nice job on the screens and a new manual to boot!
Surely a lot of effort and must say thanks to those involved.

Does that mean TURNING may be on the horizon?

RICH
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:50:51 AM »
Don't shoot the messenger, just some first impressions

Both the Speed and Feed DRO's values are clipped. Seems like the DRO boxes are too wide for the font used.
Not sure I understand The green button theme, does it mean (go/ be careful / look at me / I'm special)

I'd always hoped you would have put the graphics screen next to the gcode. Find myself looking back and forth from one side of the screen to the other when finding a start point after an issue. (Wish there was a search feature, find tool number# or jump back to Z+1 clear plane)

I do like the Yellow Axis labels, classy.

Overall it is an improvement, tedious work. Good job

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 06:50:42 PM »
Doesn't look too bad. Sure wish there was similar development work going on for lathe also. Glad to see you did not go overboard with faked glare and shadows on the DRO's and buttons. On the office PC the glare and shadows looks great, however on the shop PC the glare is already bad enough that a screen sure doesn't need to add any additional faked glare. There is almost too much induced glare and shadow on the buttons as it is. I'm sure many like my self are monitoring the screen from several feet away when milling on a job.
High contrast screens work much better in that type of environment even though they don't look as pretty when sitting directly in front of the screen.

Screen sets that use glare on the DRO's quickly end up in the PC trash bin here.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:58:13 PM by RGB Specialties »
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »
Sorry, I can't help with info re turn plans.
Please understand that while I can talk about this project now that it's close to general beta, it's not my prerogative to discuss ArtSoft's product plans one way or the other - you'll have to inquire to Brian for that.
Dave

Dave

Dave,
Nice job on the screens and a new manual to boot!
Surely a lot of effort and must say thanks to those involved.

Does that mean TURNING may be on the horizon?

RICH
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 08:13:18 PM »
HIYA DAVE, any plans for a simple HI-RES, low light, poor eyes, cheap glasses version for use in the shops(;-)

Just an oldie
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2010, 09:03:48 PM »
Hi,
Re the clipped DROs - please see an earlier prior post I made re that question - the clipping is an artifact of the development machine I took the screen shots from - the DROs are not clipped in the release candidate software.
I posted a revised screen shot with the normal fonts to show the regular appearance.

Re the yellow axis labels, - actually they are tri state axis labels - if an axis is disabled, it is dark grey to make the axis label blend into the background; if the axis is enabled and not referenced, the axis is yellow; when the axis is referenced, the axis label is green.

I'll ask folks to hang out a a bit for the beta release - there is a consistency and logic to the controls (well at least to those that are used to it - like me <grin>). Think of the buttons as internally lit - when they are off, the internal light is off and the button is grey, when on they are lit with a color - generally green. There are a few cases where yellow or red are used when you have selected "unusual conditions" - to remind the operator of the current state.

Dave

Don't shoot the messenger, just some first impressions

Both the Speed and Feed DRO's values are clipped. Seems like the DRO boxes are too wide for the font used.
Not sure I understand The green button theme, does it mean (go/ be careful / look at me / I'm special)

I'd always hoped you would have put the graphics screen next to the gcode. Find myself looking back and forth from one side of the screen to the other when finding a start point after an issue. (Wish there was a search feature, find tool number# or jump back to Z+1 clear plane)

I do like the Yellow Axis labels, classy.

Overall it is an improvement, tedious work. Good job

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:15:20 PM by DaveCVI »
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
Hi Terry,
OK, you're tugging at my chain again I see...  ;)
Let's see, how about a scenario where you paint one wall of the shop bright reflective white, and we use a hi-res projector hung from the ceiling.... Of course those require a darkened room for best effect ( that satisfies the low light criteria), then we really spiff it up and require the use of 3d glasses  - you know, the new LCD shutter type that delivers different images to each eye (but I'm not sure how "cheap" we can get those to be, but that's just a supply chain issue dependent on volume commitment)  - then we really animate things - like make the estop  cause a monster to roar and walk across the room to drag you back to the machine....  Hum, I guess we'll also need a good 5.1 sound system loud enough to be heard over the machine noise....

I'm thinking that this way we could all get new home (shop?) theaters AND be able to write it off as a shop expense.... ::) 

Dave

HIYA DAVE, any plans for a simple HI-RES, low light, poor eyes, cheap glasses version for use in the shops(;-)

Just an oldie
www.CalypsoVentures.com

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 11:15:56 PM »
Gee I was just hoping for a simple Hi Contrast screen like all the new CNCzzzzzzzz I see out there.

I does looks nice if you are into Gaming (;-) But us oldies like a nice easy to read simple screen.  All that fancy stuff is confusing to an old worn out brain.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »
Terry,

You should really give one of the screen designers a go, as that way you could make a screen set look any way YOU"D like it to.

With the knowledge you certainly have, I would think that would be a breeze for you  ;)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
I like the new screens, they look professional and plenty of bling  ;).

Use of technology by persons above a certain age should be made illegal as it compromises the functionality for the rest of us slightly younger (under the ilegal age to use tech) and makes it a much more difficult task for the programmers  ;)  ;D ;D

I'd like to see the tool path next to the code as when using a wide screen projector, its like watching a game of tennis. ;D

Great job, I can't wait to use the new set.

ATB
Derek
You can "chop it off" but can't "chop it on"