Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:11:16 PM

Author Topic: At the end of my Rope!!!  (Read 8487 times)

At the end of my Rope!!!
« on: June 09, 2010, 12:53:35 PM »
Okay let me tell you know first hand I am not a expert on computers!! That said I have a major problem, at least to me. I have a Legacy woodworking machine that is CNC. I have had it run in the past, about a year ago, and have decided to use it again. I went to use it and all 4 stepper motors just stutter! The only thing that has changed since I last used it is the motherboard has been replaced. I have removed and installed Mach 3 a number of times with the same results. I have checked the voltage in the control box and it seems to be within specs, at least by conversation with the manufacturer, Legacy. The stepper motors will run but they seem to be stuttering. All I can say it's as if you watched the second hand on a clock, when it moves it also stops every second. I can't describe it any other way. Movement is quite noisy, all 4 of them, and obviously something is wrong. I am going to replace the parallel port wire to the control box but don't think that is the problem. I am at a loss for anything else to do. I think I now own a expensive flower planter! Legacy has been absolutely no help with solving the problem even though they ship Mach 3 with their product. My computer is as follows. If you recommend something please let me know how to change your recommendations to make it easier on me. Feel free to ask any questions since I have to get this working! Thanks in advance!!!

Processor-AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Processor 440OT
XP version 2002 with pack 3
2.3 GHZ 1.87 GB of Ram
LPT port set at 0378-037F-say's no conflicts found
Mach 3 Version 2.63

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
Re: At the end of my Rope!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
try this - go to the config menu , open motor tuning , set step pulse to any of these numbers 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 or 9 - save then close mach and then restart mach.
check motor tuning and see if your change stayed set.

bill

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 02:20:20 PM »
I have tuned the steppers to the recommended numbers numerous times. They will save without problems. Didn't make any difference.  Any other suggestions? By the way, I even hooked up a parallel printer to the same port and it printed correctly. >:(

Offline docltf

•  354 354
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
I suggested you play with the step pulse width and see what happens .when motors act the way you describe it might be in the pulse width.
if i think of something else it will get posted.

bill
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »
You say to play with the step pulse width. I think you may have something there! I have always felt that I wasn't getting a constant electrical connection.  Off and on so to speak but real fast. How do you change the width? If I am incorrect how do you know when it is correct? Can damage be done by being incorrect???
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:32:00 PM by Kubotaman »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »
Have you run the driver test to see what the pulse looks like?
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:38:14 PM »
If all worked fine before i would think, as you are thinking, it should be working just fine again with your original settings / xml file.
You have changed your motherboard and i am wondering how good the pp signal output is from it. Are you using the original PP card and
graphics card ( the graphics card could be the culprit). Sorry no definitive answer.....

What does the Driver test look like?

RICH
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
Okay , as stated earlier, I am no computer guru. Stupid question- How do you test the driver?? I am not that familiar with Mach 3. I also have a Shopbot which is why I seldom use this machine.  You have asked about my PP-post processor. I believe I had a intel before. As far as the graphics card I am not sure if that was replaced when the motherboard was. I had the service done, that is why I don't know all your questions. I have forgotten to mention earlier. I have not tried any files to run on this CNC machine this go around. As I stated it worked last year just fine. . All I have done so far is use the arrow keys to move the carriage. That is when I found out something was astray! Would the graphics card have anything to do with the problem even just using the arrow keys? I wouldn't think so but I really don't know.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
Close Mach and then browse to the Mach3 folder, you should then see an icon called DriverTest.exe , double click on that and it should open a window and after a while will start the test. You will see a line running across the window, what does it look like?

Onboard graphics can cause problems with the timing so if your new motherboard has onboard graphics then yes it could be an issue.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 06:55:26 PM »
Hood, I tried the test and when the test is done the graph looks like a lot of up's and down's in spikes close together. What does that mean if anything?