Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:09:57 AM

Author Topic: Setting Mach 3 Port to PCI parallel port address  (Read 144367 times)

Setting Mach 3 Port to PCI parallel port address
« on: May 17, 2010, 02:25:57 AM »
Guys,

Newby here, I'm unable to communicate to my Router due to a port address problem with Mach 3.

I have a four year old Dell desktop that did not have a Parallel port in it, and so I have installed a manhattan PCI parallel port and installed the software.

This port does not allow re mapping to a legacy port.

Indeed i have tried two other cards, a Sunix and another unbranded both of which state in their manual that they cannot be remapped to legacy ports under windows XP

Mach 3 wants the legacy address of Ox378, but allows a one line modification.

The properties \resources\ of my PCI LPT1 card show
i/o range DCE8-DCEF
i/o range DCFO-DCF7
Memory Range DFAEEEOOO-DFAEEFFF
Memory Range DFAEEFOOO- DFAEFFFF

What do I put in the one line to replace Ox378 in Mach 3 Pins and Ports?
Also, no matter what i type, it always ends up prefixed Ox.

Confused and frustrated

Please help

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Mach 3 Port to PCI parallel port address
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »
What should be in the box is  0xDCE8
That is your port address.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
Hey, came across the same problem yesterday; bought a PCI parallel port and installed it, but didn't have any activity when I checked the IO viewer.  Had to go to my BIOS and enable the parallel port as it was defaulted to "disabled"...  This doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense, seeing as this isn't an onboard parallel port, but it worked.  Now I have output to my PCI parallel from KCam.  Shazaam!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:39:55 AM »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

This saved me in the end. I spent 2 days trying to get it to work!

Offline ted

•  1 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:16:39 PM »
New guy here with the same problem,

I followed the directions Tweakie posted and had no luck, my port card shows IO range DC00 - DC07 and D880 - D887 on a XP machine and tried port 1, 2, 3 with the port enabled Oxce8 and nothing. Any advice would be appreciated...

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 06:19:03 PM »
Try 0xDC00
Zeroes, not "oh"s
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
I've recently installed a PCI parallel port card too.  My PC has a "motherboard"  parallel port, but I need to do some diagnostic work with nuisance limit switch triggers so thought the extra inputs to Mach3 would be good for that purpose.

At the moment I'm running Mach3 off the PCI parallel board i.e. all I've done is made the address change in the Mach3 config .xml file.

Two questions:

1.  Is there any way to get Windows XP to fix the PCI parallel port address permanently?  Every time I turn my PC on the port gets a new address.  This is very frustrating to have to make the change in the Mach3 .xml configuration file.

2.  I installed the driver off the CD that came with the PCI card.  Mach3 seemed to work ok initially but I am getting some odd stepper motor behaviour now.  Should I be selecting the actual "Mach3" driver and running the DriverTest.exe utility?

3.  What is the name of the parallel port driver that Mach3 originally installs?  I'd like to check both the MB port and the PCI port are using the same driver.

Thanks.

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:51 PM »
PCI Parallel port should not change it's address after every computer power on.
I'm using one for hand held MPG, and it's address is not changing after power cycling.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 07:19:40 AM »
PCI Parallel port should not change it's address after every computer power on.....

Agreed.  But it does!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
@brw0513

This changing address problem has, I think, come up before - I have never had it happen to me and I use XP with 2 parallel port cards + the on-board port so it probably relates to the particular PCI PP card you are using rather than the computer settings. You could perhaps verify that Legacy Auto Detect is not checked for the port in Device Manager but that is all I can think of.

Tweakie.
PEACE