Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:13:47 PM

Author Topic: 2nd Build - Steel Tube, Gantry Style, Mill / Router  (Read 31052 times)

Re: 2nd Build - Steel Tube, Gantry Style, Mill / Router
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 08:33:02 PM »
Thanks George, I never saw one of those. Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 03:30:03 AM »
Just a bit of further information regarding feed-through capacitors.

As George has said these are ideal for use in series with the AC line cord but they are not suitable for any DC signals, they are purely AC related devices.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Just a bit of clarification on the post about DC.

The feed through capacitor is exactly that, a feed through!

If you put an  ohm meter to both ends of the feed through capacitor you will find zero resistance.  The center post is a solid piece of metal, the capacitance if formed between the outer, grounded shell, and the center conductor.  They are wrapped internally with two layers of foil, with an insulator, dialectic, between the foil layers.   In aircraft design they are used primarily to feed 12 or 28 VDC through a firewall, leaving any spiking noise pulses being shunted to ground through the "Capacitance" of the device.  The AC impedance of the capacitance is very low to the low level AC signals that are the noises pulses that you want to remove due to their high repetition rate.  when the 60 Hertz (Cycle) AC comes along the small value of capacitance does not shunt the line voltage to ground, but any "High Frequency" noise riding along on the AC Power will be removed because it is so much higher a frequency rate.

Kind of hard to explain and understand if you are not into electronics.  Hope it makes sense to all who read it.

George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »
George, thanks again about the clarification on the caps.

I made some progress this past weekend..

I got the rest of the parts back from the machine shop last week. I'm really pleased with the work they did. If anyone needs quality machine work done give Bill Hall at Able Machine in Delaware a call. www.ablemachine.net (no affiliation, just a satified customer)

So, all the machine work (hired out work) is done on the x and y axis. I wish I could have taken a picture of my "little mill" sitting on the table of his VF7. It looked so small sitting on that machine.

I fabricated a stand out of 3"sq tubing, and got everything primed. Now I need to decide what color to paint it.

Next I'll start mounting the rails and getting the screws setup.

Then the dreaded electronics...

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2010, 08:37:07 PM »
Got a coat of silver gray on the base and mounted it to the stand. I chose that color because it was leftover from another project so it was a freebie.

Hope to get some time tomorrow to set the y axis.
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
pic

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 09:20:31 PM »
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Thanks for posting your progress, we love pics!
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 12:06:50 AM »
Some more progress....

tonight I finished drilling and tapping some misc. holes in the 46" long carriers that support the y axis. Then I sprayed Boesheid T9 on all the bare metal machined surfaces and mounted the carriers to the towers. There are four 3/8" bolts that are accessible from inside the towers that hold the y axis carriers to the top of the towers.

Also got the the Rexroth 25 linear bearings for the y axis cut to length and mounted them to the carriers.

I intentionally had the slot cut into the carriers so I could use these toe clamps to wedge the rail against the reference edge as I tightened the mounting bolts.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 12:08:31 AM by toomanyhobbies »
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »
i guess the next thing will be mounting the gantry and making end blocks for the lead screws. That will most likely take some time to get done.
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 06:11:36 AM »
Very impressive work you have done so far!
Can't wait to see the machine completed.

Keep posting pics  :)