Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:08:07 AM

Author Topic: 2nd Build - Steel Tube, Gantry Style, Mill / Router  (Read 31045 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: 2nd Build - Steel Tube, Gantry Style, Mill / Router
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Allen Bradley
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
Here's a pic of the drives and some other items i'll have in the enclosure.

Anyone have any pointers on laying out the electronics in a enclosure to keep it neat and help prevent emf noise?

Looks so neat without the wiring :)

Cooling fan?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »
I picked up the gantry today from the machine shop. They cut the surfaces for the linear rails and squared up the mounting feet. I dropped off the base and they think it may be done next week :)

I put a heavy coat of primer on the gantry. Not sure if I should paint the surfaced areas??? Anyone think a light coat of paint on the surfaced areas would interfere with the linear bearings?
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 08:56:17 AM »
I would put some grease or oil at the machined surface which is covered by the rails. If some of the machined surface is not covered by the rails I would have carefully covered the "under rails area" with masking tape and painted the remainder  of the machined area.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 10:52:52 PM »
I would put some grease or oil at the machined surface which is covered by the rails. If some of the machined surface is not covered by the rails I would have carefully covered the "under rails area" with masking tape and painted the remainder  of the machined area.

Sounds like good advise, I'll do it that way. Thanks

Offline Garyv

•  103 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
Try using BOE SHEILD , It acts just like cosmolene and in a spray can, I get it at the marine supply. It sprays on thin and even like paint but drys kind of waxy like cosmolene for rust and corrosion protection.I dont have a can around but I think I have seen it even at home depot as well..Also there is a brand sold by mercury and evenrude if your near a marine store..
Gary
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 06:05:23 PM »
Try using BOE SHEILD , It acts just like cosmolene and in a spray can, I get it at the marine supply. It sprays on thin and even like paint but drys kind of waxy like cosmolene for rust and corrosion protection.I dont have a can around but I think I have seen it even at home depot as well..Also there is a brand sold by mercury and evenrude if your near a marine store..
Gary

Thanks Gary, there is a marine supply store on my way to work, i'll see if they have that.

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 07:30:34 PM »
You can keep the RFI to a minimum by building the electronics in a metal enclosure.  Use shielded cables for all the drive motors, and make sure everything is well grounded together.  Using a couple of 'feed thru" capacitors where the line cord exits the box will keep the whole system very quiet.
George
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
George, i'm not good with electronics. When you say feed thru capacitor what size would I need and how would that be wired?

Thanks for your help.

Offline GeorgeRace

•  53 53
  • My Home Built Airplane
    • View Profile
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 08:38:12 AM »
What I am talking about is a device used to remove electrical interference that is being conducted by a wire.

A feed thru capacitor is about 1/2 and inch in diameter, about 2 inches long, and has mounting tabs on one end.  There is a threaded screw opening on each end.  These were originally made for aircraft and military use during WWII.  They can still be purchased at places like Aircraft Spruce, Allied Electronics, DigiKey, and other electronic suppliers.

A good value for your application is a .1mfd at 600 working volts rating.  And yes, they will work with 110 or 220 VAC.

The attached picture will be worth a lot more than words.
Click on the picture to see it at just about actual size.
George

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:41:46 AM by GeorgeRace »
Check out my home page
http://www.mrrace.com