Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:18:42 AM

Author Topic: Machine not backing off switch when homing  (Read 15019 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Machine not backing off switch when homing
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 01:48:40 PM »
OOPS, not sure how the http:// got in there, the link is as follows
ftp://anonymous@machsupport.com/Mach/

Hood

Edit, seems the forum is automatically placing the http:// at the front so just copy and paste the address in your browser and delete the first part before you press go.

Hood
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:50:49 PM by Hood »
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:14:12 PM »
having same problem, at first it would hit home switch, stop for a nano sec. then keep going, so reread manual, I had N.O. switches, manual calls for N.C., So I replaced them with N.C. Then it would hit home, then try to come off, and before it could move, the limit would trigger, so I disabled the limit, then it would hit home try to come off, and just keep going. Using G28.1 X 0 axes hits home and stops. Doesn't back off. Using  G28.1 x .500 axes rapid movement to .500 then creeps to home and stops, doesn't back off. Any help with this? Thanks, Jim
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 01:02:06 PM »
I'm setting up a series 1 Bridgeport and I'm having a similar problem.
I am running a Campbell Designs Mach 3 controller. I have the motors tuned and have run the half roadrunner in the trial version, so that part of the program is working fine.
When I hit Ref All to got to home it goes to the limit, zeros the DRO, but won't back off to free up the system. I have resorted  to using a spacer, and isolating the X axis so by pulling the spacer if releases the limit switch and allows me to jog.
If you think you can't do it, you're right.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »
Everyone that is having problems with the axis not backing off really needs to find the cause and cure it. There are only a couple of possibilities, first is noise, second poor switches.
Noise is the problem if when you home it doesnt always make it to the switch but sometimes homes away from the switch. Also if you share Home and Limits and have noise problems you will get random limit triggers.

Poor switches are when it always makes it to the switch but doesnt reverse enough to close the switch properly. What is happening is the axis moves to the switch, the switch opens and Mach reverses but the switch contacts are sloppy so Mach sees it shut again and sets home but almost as quick the switch is seen as Open again so Mach throws a limit error.

Debounce interval can sometimes be used with either noise or bouncy switches but the best thing is to fix the problem in the first place.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:43:54 PM »
Everyone that is having problems with the axis not backing off really needs to find the cause and cure it. There are only a couple of possibilities, first is noise, second poor switches.
Noise is the problem if when you home it doesnt always make it to the switch but sometimes homes away from the switch. Also if you share Home and Limits and have noise problems you will get random limit triggers.

Poor switches are when it always makes it to the switch but doesnt reverse enough to close the switch properly. What is happening is the axis moves to the switch, the switch opens and Mach reverses but the switch contacts are sloppy so Mach sees it shut again and sets home but almost as quick the switch is seen as Open again so Mach throws a limit error.

Debounce interval can sometimes be used with either noise or bouncy switches but the best thing is to fix the problem in the first place.
Hood

I don't know, I didn't have any problem until I upgraded to ver 3.04 from 1.90.  I then went back to 1.9 and all is well again.

Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:22 PM »
What is the actual version you tried?
Hood
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 05:54:05 PM »
What is the actual version you tried?
Hood

3.042.038:  I tried a bunch of debounce and interval changes. nothing worked

Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 05:57:43 PM »
Did you try setting up another profile as going from 1.90 to 3.042.038 is a huge leap in time with many updates being done between these versions. Even just making a quick profile with one  axis and its limits/home switch as a test.
Hood
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
Did you try setting up another profile as going from 1.90 to 3.042.038 is a huge leap in time with many updates being done between these versions. Even just making a quick profile with one  axis and its limits/home switch as a test.
Hood

Hi Hood
To tell you the truth I'm not sure if I did or not. There was so much going back and forth, I think I tried one of the mach mill profiles, switched screen sets, and redid the setting and still could not get it to properly home. But like I said I'm not sure which version I tried that with. I'm back at 1.9 and working well. I think I'll wait for the next release before I try again.

Thanks for your input
Mike
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 12:56:15 AM »
I had lacked the documentation for the breakout board that was installed in the controller. It was designed for use with NPRs, but I am using the original micro switches in series. By eliminating the 12 volt and just using the ground and signal to N.C. swiitches and assigning the correct pin in the parallel port it all worked :).
Machine up and running fine at the end of the day. Backs off nicely and sets the DRO.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:59:05 AM by sandcrab »
If you think you can't do it, you're right.