Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:55:00 AM

Author Topic: limit switch problem  (Read 10800 times)

Re: limit switch problem
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 09:40:35 AM »
I have one switch on the end of each axis which is enabled as a homing switch. They are each wired in to individual inputs on my breakout board. When I enable them as limits, that's when I have the problem. I also am having difficulty setting up the soft limits.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 11:53:17 AM »
You can only use them as Limits for one end of the axis, ie either X++ OR X-- depending on which end they are at. Unless that is the switch is in the middle and the trigger is either end.
 That however should not be your problem as it would just mean they wouldnt activate properly if set up as both X++ AND X--.
  When you enable them do you see the LED on the diagnostics page light?

Softlimits should be easy, X min Y min and Z Max will be zero, X Max, Y Max  will be your travel and Z Min will be your travel but a negative value. If your home switches are at the wrong end of the table from machine coords zero then you also need to enter a Home Off value equal to the distance of the travel.

Hood
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 05:53:24 AM »
When I enable The X--, Y++, and Z++ limits, along with the "home" LEDs, both the "home" and "limit" LEDs do light up on the diagnostics page. That is when the problem of the RESET button starts flashing! It happens randomly and I also noticed that the limit and homing LEDs flash quickly just before the RESET flashes. It is almost like enabeling the limits is causing the "noise" that trips the RESET. This dosen't make sense because the wiring and switches are all the same and the RESET dosen't trip when only the home switches are enabled.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
When you have enabled only home switches Mach will not go into reset if they become active as they are just home switches and not limits. That was why I asked if you could home correctly as I was thinking you had noise problems or bouncy contacts. If that was the case your homing would not work properly all the time as the switch would be seen before the axis actually got to it.
It still sounds however like it is your problem and it is just luck that when you home the switch is not being seen whilst doing so, easy way to test is remove the switches from the BOB and connect a wire in their place and enable the limits and home switches and see if you still have the issue, if you dont then you know the problem is in the switches or the switch wiring. If you do then its from the BOB  upwards to computer.
Hood
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:06:24 PM »
Hood:
Not sure you got my last post?   I now have a different problem. Neither my Y or Z axis moves either using the MPG or trying to do a homing move. The DRO's do index. I haven't changed any settings, however I can't continue to troubleshoot my previous problem until I solve this one. I have attached the most current XML file.
Thanks,
Charlie

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2010, 03:46:17 PM »
The DRO's do index.

What do you mean by that?

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2010, 03:50:30 PM »
Just looked at your xml, you have the MPG set to multi step mode and the step increment of 0.001 so you may not see it move much unless you wind the MPG quite a bit.
Hood
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »

Changing this has no effect on the problem! The X axis still works fine with the MPG. It sounds like you are running out of suggestions! I do greatly appreciate all your help on this. Thank you. I will keep plugging away.
Regards,
Charlie

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2010, 04:48:26 PM »
Can you jog these axis from keyboard or tab page? Do you see the Y and Z Dros change when jogging either with MPG or Keyboard?
Hood
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »
Only the X axis jogs with either the MPG, Tab page, or keyboard. The DROs do indicate movement on all 3 axis.