Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:52:42 AM

Author Topic: 'No Moon' Series  (Read 7639 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
'No Moon' Series
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
Hey folks, I know you like to see projects prestained, so here goes the 'No Moon' series that I did.  I'll be staining it tonight and mounting for display.  These are the first real art pieces done on my mill.  Everything before it was just a test.  I did it using a 3/8 inch roughing bit, and a 1/8 inche finishing end mill.  The stepover for finishing was .25 mm.  I had the feed rate set to 600, but I could probably do more.  My plunge was set to 90, so the pieces with a lot of up and down took longer.  Each piece is 6 inches square.  I think I've proven that my mill works, at least in 3 axis;)

Barry

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: 'No Moon' Series
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 02:00:38 PM »
Looks interesting! Thanks for sharing. Did you have any pics of the details to model by, or did you use random greebles? Is the end product going to be a death star, or are you going to leave it flat?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »
These are models made based on what was used in the actual film.  The greebles might have been random when they made it for Star Wars, but I had to be very specific to have the same look. 

This is pretty much the end product, except minus the staining.  I'll be doing that tonight.  To do the full Death Star would cost much more wealth than I can imagine, and the space needed at this scale would be insane.  Here's a couple more picts that thow the pieces more straight on.

Barry

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
Yeah, I figured the original was random, but didn't know if you were trying to maintain accuracy.
To do the full Death Star would cost much more wealth than I can imagine, and the space needed at this scale would be insane.
Didn't realize it was that big! However, I'm just going on faint memory from the movie. So what are you going to do with it?
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
These are done just for me to test the machine and to experiment with stains.  I'm going to stain each a different shade, then mount them all the wall as art.  I'm showing them this weekend in my gallery.

Barry

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:16:09 PM »
interesting stuff!

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 01:09:22 AM »
Here is the final stained and hung 'No Moon' series.  The show is this Saturday.

Barry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 02:53:19 AM »
Great work Barry - I hope the show is a resounding success.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Chris.Botha

•  488 488
  • wine me.. dine me.. tram my mill for me...
    • View Profile
    • Digital-Jeweller
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 01:18:19 AM »
Great look, well done!

On a artistic note I have to say I preferred the unstained units.. more "spacey".. more tonal depth. But irrespective still a great look :)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »
Agreed, just a clear varnish is best.  I bought all different stains mainly to see how they react.  I've made about six sets of these now and all were left untreated for the clients.