Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 03:02:44 AM

Author Topic: Bugatti Emblem cant get toolpath!  (Read 12338 times)

Bugatti Emblem cant get toolpath!
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:10:58 PM »
Could somebody help me out here. I am trying to cut this emblem and the pocket keeps cutting stuff i don't want to cut. I have tried to scale up to different sizes, leads off, rapids off, optimize, every trick in the book. Somebody care to take a shot? I need to pocket the inner oval so the logo and lettering will be raised.

.020 end mill with a .002 finish cut

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Bugatti Emblem cant get toolpath!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
I'll take peek at it.
RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:32:20 PM »
stevehuck,
Ok here is my first try and almost got it. You will find attached a revised dxf file, a lcam file, and a screen shot.
1. I put all the different parts of the logo on different layers so i had control on what i could turn on and off in LC.
    In the manual there is an explanation on why i recommend it.
2.  Once imported into LC, I turn off the inside letter stuff, then i turn off the outside oval, then i do an offset of the insdie oval , then i turn off the inside oval. By turn off i mean unenable the layer
3.Then  Autoclean
4. then  a pocket
5. then i delete all the pockets of the letters
6. Then your left with what is shown in the picture

Now the Letter A has a problem but it may just be the inside of the letter. So you can fool with it.
 Put the letter a into a circle or oval by itself and see what makes a pocket  work on it.

Another thing that i didn't try is to create clamps or shapes and then pocket. All advanced stuff, not sure
how well it covered in the manual.

Have fun,
RICH

« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 08:34:51 PM by RICH »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
BTW, Do as you wish but to shorten the machining you may consider cutting the bulk out with a different size cutter.
Then use that outline to do the small cuts around the letters. Just a thought that come to mind.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Here is another approach.

Open your original DXF
CLEAN
Select the inner oval ONLY
Select the .020" tool and set the LAYER depth
Check "Create Islands"
Then click on Create Pockets and it comes out good here.

Rich, looks like your tool is .020mm by the amount of paths you have.
Russ
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
.....then of course you have to select and delete the original vectors so no code will be generated to cut them.
Russ
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »
Well....close, but no cigar.
I see the G is a bit goofy and after generating the code there are two little crop circles....not sure why.
Had fun trying though, thanks,
Russ
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:54:23 PM »
Well....close, but no cigar.
I see the G is a bit goofy and after generating the code there are two little crop circles....not sure why.
Had fun trying though, thanks,
Russ

Well I really thank you for trying. The crop circles i can weed out. Fixing the g is another story.

Is there a way to export the tool pating back to dxf? If i could get the pathing back to cad i could fix the problems in seconds.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:12:18 PM »
Russ,
Glad you looked at it as there a different ways to do things.
Raised text can be a real PITA, but Frank did a good job on the text in CAD which realy helps.
BTW, that "Autoclean" is important as it's different than "clean" when your pocketing and unless
the user reads the verbage he will miss it. The Autoclean is part of the tools in the top tab though.

I don't know what is wrong in part of the G which is not cutting, but, what you can do is just select the
 pathing and do an offset to add additional cuts. For the crop circle just go in and join the two elements that
are creating the problem as that is a simple fix "sometimes".

BTW, if for some reason, and it does happen, that you can't get a piece to  pocket just go back into cad and draw then out.
Just a fall back if you find your spending too much time on  trying to get a minor part to work.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
Is there a way to export the tool pating back to dxf?

You need a program like NCPLOT which will backplot the gcode and create a dxf file.

RICH