Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:45:56 AM

Author Topic: 2nd parallel port card issues  (Read 10609 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd parallel port card issues
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 07:15:28 PM »
:(
Hood

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
I checked the BIOS for the motherboard, and I can change the parallel port mode for the onboard card.  I figured if I set it to ECP, like the PCI card, that might work.  Nope, still doesn't work.  Is there a card that people know works for Mach?

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:06:36 AM »
I had a couple that worked but have forgotten what chip was on one but the other was siig Ithink.
I am sure Simpson posted infor on cards he had that worked, try a search.
Hood

Edit, see someone else has just posted in the thread I was meaning, made finding it easy ;D
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,11300.0.html
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 04:09:56 AM by Hood »

Offline ftec

•  88 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 07:20:13 AM »
I checked the BIOS for the motherboard, and I can change the parallel port mode for the onboard card.  I figured if I set it to ECP, like the PCI card, that might work.  Nope, still doesn't work.  Is there a card that people know works for Mach?

Barry

I'm using a Sunix in port addr bc00 but boy was that hard to get to funtion, took me several days. I first bought one secondhand but wasn't able to get it to work. Bought a new one, same brand, and after creating a new profile for the PC I was able to change ports etc and get it to work. Don't know if that really was necessary at all but after that I somehow got it to work.

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
I ordered the card from NewEgg.  Wish me luck.  I wish this info was in the manual.  Instead of having to purchase things and hope for the best.

Barry
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »
Hello, I just bought a parallel port card, and although it's seen in the device manager, I can't seem to get Mach to use it.  The address/range is CC00-CC07, and C800-C807.  if I try to input either cc00, or c800, Mach doesn't recognize anything.  I am on Win XP, there are no conflicts.  The card is set to LPT2, the motherboards parallel port is set to LPT1, both work fine.  I saw on the list, that I can try the opposite, using the motherboards parallel port as LPT2, and the PCI card as LPT1, but this didn't do anything either.

The cabling are straight through cables, and they plug into a C23 board from CNC4PC.  I used to be using a smooth stepper, and was reading both ports through it.  I decided to go straight parallel port, but so far no luck.

Anyone have suggestions?  I was hoping to be cutting all weekend;)

Barry

DId you make sure the address was in HEX "0xCC00", not sure if that would make a difference or not.

JH

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 12:19:40 PM »
Yes, that was the easy part;)  There's just cards Mach won't recognize, sucks since it doesn't say this in the manual.  I hope this card from new egg will work, since I built this pc, specifically to run the cnc machine from parallel ports to bypass the smoothstepper.

Barry
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 02:03:56 PM »
Make sure you also checked the enable port box.
Also, to make sure it is the parallel port. Try using the diagnostics tab. Ground some input pins on the 25 pin connector and see if the LED's come on.
I'm also using cheap parallel cards and they work. I bought them at Compusa.
Are you sure you typed 0xCC00 ?

Good luck

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »
Yes, I am sure.  I typed in CC00 and Mach fills in the rest.  I've tested the limit switches which a few are hooked up on the the 2nd port pins, as well as the B/C axis, none work.

You should post which cards you bought and what drivers you are using.  It might help others like me too.

Barry
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:56 PM »
Unfortunately, I threw away the box and the cards don't really say anything. The driver says "Multi-IO adapter".
Also make sure that in the Ports & Pins configuration you have enabled the inputs & outputs and that the right port port number ( 1 or 2) has been entered. It should be the same as the one you have enabled.