Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:36:45 PM

Author Topic: dxf file import question  (Read 7206 times)

dxf file import question
« on: September 21, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
How do you import a dxf file, convert it to gcode, and assign depths to it?

When I import a dxf file, I get a window that I don't really know what to do with exept hit the convert to gcode button. What are layers? I am just trying ti mill some simple rectangular pockets. I would use the conversational wizard, but my Mach3 did not come with them.
Thanks
Mike P

Hood

Re: dxf file import question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 04:37:56 PM »
The conversational wizards are licensed seperately by New Fangled Solutions.
 Have you tried importing the DXF with LazyCAM?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:40:49 PM »
I use turbocad to design the things to be milled. I import it into mach3 as a dxf file. After that I don't really know what to do. Is there a tutorial for mach3 that teaches how to assign depths etc..?

Hood

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 04:44:31 PM »
Are you using LazyCAM (its in Mach3) to import? I dint use LazyCAM but I had a look in the beginning and it looked good and has come a long way since. There should be a video on the downloads page showing the basics of LazyCAM.
You can access LazyCAM from the File menu in Mach3.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »
I didn't know it existed. I am using a library computer that can't seem to access that particular tutorial. All of the other ones work fine. I don't have internet on my computer. Do I open the lazy cam window, then import dxf? Or do I import dxf, the open lazycam?
Thanks
Mike P

Hood

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 04:53:44 PM »
You open lazyCAM then along the top of the screen you will see a button to import CAD files, click on that and browse to your file and import it. I cant be much more help as I have not used LazyCAM but you may be able to work it out easily. Try and get the video downloaded sometime as it should show you the basics. This is a direct link to the video, that might help you get it http://www.machsupport.com/LazyCam/LazyCam.swf

Hood

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:28:50 PM »
The conversational wizards are licensed seperately by New Fangled Solutions.
 Have you tried importing the DXF with LazyCAM?
Hood
Can I jump in here with a question?

I bought the New Fangled licence and am happy I did but aren't the rest of the individual wizards included with Mach?

Example: Pocket Cutting, CircularBolt Pattern, Circular Pocket, Cut Arc, etc

Hood

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »
Yes all the individual wizards are free, just the conversational from New Fangled Solutions that you pay a small extra for.
Hood

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »
Yes all the individual wizards are free, just the conversational from New Fangled Solutions that you pay a small extra for.
Hood

And well worth it too :)

So getting back to Mig29's question, shouldn't he have the wizards. Can't he use the Rectangular Pocketing wizard?

Hood

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 02:11:03 AM »
Yes he could, also if its a bit more complex than a single pocket he could create the code from one wizard, then another and cut and paste them all together to make up a complete program. When things get a bit more complex LazyCAM might be easier though.
Hood