Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:54:38 AM

Author Topic: Anyone Here Have Experience Milling 6061-T651 Wrought Plate?  (Read 39897 times)

Re: Anyone Here Have Experience Milling 6061-T651 Wrought Plate?
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2010, 09:10:07 AM »
All I intended to do was discourage the use of kerosene as a coolant in some raw newcomers shop and burn his shop/house down.

And right you are.  

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2010, 09:11:31 AM »
The only problem with spell check and dictionaries is......     you have to be able to spell to know it's the right spelling of the word!

Having said that I use it all the time :)

Steve
Sign maker who can't spell.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2010, 09:14:52 AM »
Ohh and I stick by my old castor oils as a hand applied coolant, complete with methanol and other nasties.

Most soluble oils these days have something in them to stop the growth of the bug that caused coolant to smell, much nicer smelling now than when I were a lad.

Steve

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2010, 09:20:28 AM »
Nah, I got the funny feeling that 10,000 plus members are following this thread and more Kero responses are yet to come. Hmm.....Ray  will probably program something into Mach such that you will be prompted  
for coolant type and if you select Kero mach will shutdown.

Now back on thread.

Some of the water based coolant will stain Al if left to dry and can be a cause for rejection of the work.
The grind shops refused to grind the plates ( 6' square x 3" thick plates ). The plates had to be re-machined / surfaced.

RICH

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
Awww come on, do we have to...???!!!
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2010, 06:36:24 PM »
Ray L.

Sorry to end your discussion, didn't intend to. Just got a reminder of a heart felt and desperate incident with the stuff...

Besides, regarding you and kerosene; RICH has it; we're in no danger!

thanks,

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »
 ;D
RICH

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
That's it for you....
What is that supposed to mean?

Brett

Joking Brett! As if you spilled your beer..

Shoooooooooooooooo............ thought there for a minute I was being put in time out or something.  ;D

Spilling beer is almost as crazy as using Kero for coolant but I have heard of it.  ;D I don't recommend either though.

Sorry to end your discussion, didn't intend to. Just got a reminder of a heart felt and desperate incident with the stuff...

I understand that Bill. Kinda like running up the road with arms waving to warn other drivers the bridge just around the corner is out. That is a noble thing.  :) If that doesn't work the next step is to pull out your gun and shoot their tires out I suppose.

The point is............... sometimes some hot air has to be expelled to avoid a bad situation. I think were all big enough to appreciate the fact that although this hasn't been the warmest topic it will defiantly be the lesser of two evils if it in any way helps to keep a single person from a crash and burn. The Bridge is fixed now. It was a tough one to cross but were on the other side now. Lets get on down the road.

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »
Just check this post ,LOL , and as far as kerosene  goes , now days we have better stuff .
But years ago , well , many years ago  , we did use kerosene for machining alum on the big planner , and theres no speed involved on a planner . It was driven with a flat belt. We just brushed it on , But never used it on a mill. And , it worked great.

As far as milling alum , FLOOD.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2010, 04:59:59 PM »
Just who are you 'laughing out loud' at there Ed? My band wagon? (I still feel bad about the way Ray L's thread got stomped on...(but he's probably Tubal Cain incognito))
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:02:53 PM by BClemens »