Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:32:32 AM

Author Topic: Anyone Here Have Experience Milling 6061-T651 Wrought Plate?  (Read 39872 times)

Re: Anyone Here Have Experience Milling 6061-T651 Wrought Plate?
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
First off....let me apologize to Himy for taking this off topic.

My goodness, you'd think I had just shot somebody's favorite dog! Clemens, I do believe you are far to easy to take offense in the slightest thing you don't agree with. That's a shame, as this is a public forum and all (productive) comments should be welcome. In no form, or fashion, was my reply aimed negatively toward you, or any other person. Maybe I should have reworded it, such as...."I'm also interested in hearing some educated experiences with kero, in addition to BClemmens professional experience." I suppose I can see where you might have taken that I insinuated that you were not a professional, however, I do think you are the only person that took it that way, and I'm definitely not going to worry about every single phrase I make, in fear of the chance I might be offending somebody. None of us are here to offend, only to help and expand our knowledge. Nobody here knows everything, and no single answer to any discussion should be the "be all-end all, case closed".
There you go Sam, a professional, and 'educated' opinion.
Do I take offense to your reply? Of course I do. You definitely went out of your way to post that last part, to make it known to me that it is meant to be offensive. I won't loose any sleep over it though, I've got thick skin.

Yeah using straight kero as a flood coolant on a milling machine would definitely not be a good idea, and I don't really see how anyone could interpret from the responses here, that it would be, but that don't mean there is no place at all for the chemical in metal working. As I clearly stated, it is indeed used extensively in punches and dies. Actually, a nearby steel foundry uses kero with their aluminum dies. These dies stroke so fast they are a blur. This foundry uses kero, has never burned down, and they deal with molten metal daily.

Sam, are you referring to punching, pressing and sanding so fast that a coolant is required ?
As far as the punching and pressing goes, I don't know the "why" part of the kero usage. My first guess was that it acts like a light cutting oil, and a good solvent, both of which aids against the formation of gum, which would be disastrous (and expensive) in a very short time.  It seems as though there would be a more suitable chemical. I was hoping to maybe get some people that have indeed used it in industry to further the discussion. Doubtful anybody will chime in now, though.
As far as sanding goes, it keeps the paper clean (unclogged), and aids in cutting. When wet sanding aluminum, you can really go through sandpaper quick. You can use detergent added into water, but it don't work nearly as good as a solvent.

Thick skinned and long winded! You are the one to be offensive and I answered you - without the offense. But you read it your way.....whatever....

Kind-of clannish bunch aren't you.....and I'm very aware that I'm not in the click here.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2010, 10:03:59 PM »
Kind-of clannish bunch aren't you.....and I'm very aware that I'm not in the click here.

For the most part folks are additive or question for understanding and will help until the end is found.
Remarks relative to posted info are just replies, but, content that insinuates ill meaning to a group or individual are not appreciated.

The only "clicks" i have found in my time here, are a bunch of folks who "click together" to assist another user or address a problem. Sometimes that ain't easy and requires a clan to accomplish it.  ;)

RICH

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2010, 03:50:04 AM »
As my Father used to say when we were causing trouble and Mom wanted him to intervene, "fight nice"

I read a lot of these posts and and I am amazed at the tensions and animosity that result.

I am actually reading this post to learn about Rays problem as I believe him to be a pretty sharp guy when it comes to Mach3 and its use. I didn't come here to read these posts to listen to people get all upset about what may or may not have been someones meaning.

AS far as clicks are concerned the only one I belong to is the DSPMC users which is by far in the minority. I forgot the other "Click" is the Mach3 users click in which if you are a user of Mach3 or even know about Mach3 your are welcomed in.

Back to the topic at hand. I can't imagine the use of kero on a daily basis. The smell makes me sick and I would be very concerned about the fire hazard. I do remember reading somewhere that it works well for drilling cast iron but I could be mistaken.

I also can recommend against the extensive use of WD40 in a mist lubricator. I had read that it works well for aluminum and it did a good job of keeping the cutter from clogging up but I had breathing troubles for a few days after a long machining session.

I have gone to water mixed coolant and I am very very happy with the result. Mu only real concern is the evaporation and carry off of the coolant. To minimize the carry off I have taken to washing the parts in clean water and then using this water to mix new coolant with. Since this water already has a percentage of coolant in it from washing the finished parts, I reduce the carry off some what.

So far I have not had any smell from the sump and the machine will sit for days and sometimes weeks without odor build up. I have even converted my bandsaw too use this as I like the all in one type solutions.
While I am sure that it is not the perfect coolant for every job, it has so far stood me in good stead.

>:D Mike >:D
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 06:53:18 AM »
I hope this doesn't start a fight, but it's "clique". ;)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
Thanks Gerry for the spelling lesson.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 08:37:14 AM »
All I intended to do was discourage the use of kerosene as a coolant in some raw newcomers shop and burn his shop/house down. Even suggesting its use might be enough to send someone up to the local service station to buy himself some 'coolant'. The MSDS on the stuff is enough to discourage the average person, but some just may not get the total implications and danger of using it. To request more information on its use as a coolant other than has been presented in as plain and to-the-point way is a possible come-on to some who may misunderstand. That' all I was trying to do. If SAM wants to get up in my face for the way I did it then that's SAM's problem. I'm not fighting anyone, wasn't my intent and never was. Pointing a finger in a kindly way with words only has always been tough for me but requesting more information on the use of kerosene as a coolant sent me on a campaign to discourage it completely. You took me wrong SAM!!!

'Clique', even looks better than 'click'. Looks special...

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2010, 08:44:34 AM »
  ???   ;D  Please excuse me for getting off thread, maybe this will provide some insight.  ;D
RICH
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
What do you mean "getting off thread"? Ray L. probably has given up by now!

Spele chyck?   Hey, 'click' was spelled correctly!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:51:00 AM by BClemens »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »
Never use spell check... I like to think I can spell better. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »
That's it for you....
What is that supposed to mean?

Brett

Joking Brett! As if you spilled your beer..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:10:27 AM by BClemens »