Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:28:20 PM

Author Topic: Anyone Here Have Experience Milling 6061-T651 Wrought Plate?  (Read 39888 times)

Re: Anyone Here Have Experience Milling 6061-T651 Wrought Plate?
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2010, 05:38:22 PM »
Actually yes Brett. But K1 is the most stinky of the heavier fuel oils. It is even hard to wash the smell off.... WD40 is bad enough for stink and smoke. Kero smoke is nasty and the flash point is too low for safe use on the mill. That's it for you....

We used to use the Aladin Blue Flame Heater to heat areas that we worked and they never smelled. Now the heaters stink of raw kerosene. Very bad for the lungs!

Sorry - off topic.... MACHINE .....  - on topic... :-[
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:41:37 PM by BClemens »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »
Good question Brett. I do know that kero is used quiet extensively on aluminum punches and presses. I have also heard of it being used for wet sanding aluminum. Some have praised it for that, others hate it. My first initial thoughts on it are, that it cleans AND lubricates, making it a "jack of all trades, master of none" kinda thing. I'm also interested in hearing some educated experiences with kero.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 09:51:36 PM »
Screw this
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:54:06 PM by BClemens »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 10:28:03 PM »
Screw this
  ???

Not sure what you mean?
RICH
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »
No self respecting machine shop or anyone else for that matter would use kerosene as a coolant! The discussion of using it is ludicrous. I would venture to say that if a machine shop did use kerosene as their machining coolant, they would be noted for the horrific fire that their machine shop went up in. The flash point is too low, it stinks, it is a carcinogen to the skin and lungs, it's expensive and it's lubricity is similar but a bit better than gasoline. Oh yes gasoline, let's discuss using it as a coolant too - it evaporates fast therefore it must be good as a coolant. Concentrated levels in confined spaces of kerosene fumes are highly explosive. If it weren't for wick style heaters and lamps, it would no longer be available, and that is probability not too far off in the future.

Add a soluble soap or oil as appropriate to water for your coolant, keep your sanity and property - no fire and no smoke.

There you go Sam, a professional, and 'educated' opinion.
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »
Hey Steve, I used to use racing castor too but mixed it with the fuel for 2 cycle use. Did you use it in the gear case ?
Bill, I lube all of my casters with grease.
Sam, are you referring to punching, pressing and sanding so fast that a coolant is required ?
I have used kero for hand sanding machined fillet welds in aluminum and it did a good job. Just don't go too fast !
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2010, 10:05:20 AM »
Bclemens, now i know what you mean. Whats wrong is sometimes folks take liberty in what they read.
You will find mention of Kero for cutting back oil in the Machinist Handbook. I guess i have also heard
or read of it's use in many mixtures, not to say they are safe. These days, MSDS sheets are mandatory and review of any material is done. ( heck i brought some marking stuff onto a site once and was almost fired!)
Some of the old timers used some nasty stuff. You should see what's in some old books on firearms and the chemical concoctions that were used.
RICH

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2010, 03:11:53 PM »
The castor oil is for the engine Russ, normal gearbox oil in the gearbox but some people do use castor oil in the gearbox.
Just to clarify, this is oils such as Castrol R, I use Morris MLR40 at £30.00/5ltrs but it only gets used for one meeting then drained out so it makes a good cutting oil, to thick for spraying though so I use a brush and an old hand cream bottle with the press down top.

Other than that I flood coolant with soluble oil on my Alu cutting and I follow my uncles advise and tend to run low surface speeds and high feeds(compaired to modern practice), my mill only has a top speed of 2600rpm anyway so for anything less than a10mm carbide cutter I'm way down on the surface speed.

Steve

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »
First off....let me apologize to Himy for taking this off topic.

My goodness, you'd think I had just shot somebody's favorite dog! Clemens, I do believe you are far to easy to take offense in the slightest thing you don't agree with. That's a shame, as this is a public forum and all (productive) comments should be welcome. In no form, or fashion, was my reply aimed negatively toward you, or any other person. Maybe I should have reworded it, such as...."I'm also interested in hearing some educated experiences with kero, in addition to BClemmens professional experience." I suppose I can see where you might have taken that I insinuated that you were not a professional, however, I do think you are the only person that took it that way, and I'm definitely not going to worry about every single phrase I make, in fear of the chance I might be offending somebody. None of us are here to offend, only to help and expand our knowledge. Nobody here knows everything, and no single answer to any discussion should be the "be all-end all, case closed".
There you go Sam, a professional, and 'educated' opinion.
Do I take offense to your reply? Of course I do. You definitely went out of your way to post that last part, to make it known to me that it is meant to be offensive. I won't loose any sleep over it though, I've got thick skin.

Yeah using straight kero as a flood coolant on a milling machine would definitely not be a good idea, and I don't really see how anyone could interpret from the responses here, that it would be, but that don't mean there is no place at all for the chemical in metal working. As I clearly stated, it is indeed used extensively in punches and dies. Actually, a nearby steel foundry uses kero with their aluminum dies. These dies stroke so fast they are a blur. This foundry uses kero, has never burned down, and they deal with molten metal daily.

Sam, are you referring to punching, pressing and sanding so fast that a coolant is required ?
As far as the punching and pressing goes, I don't know the "why" part of the kero usage. My first guess was that it acts like a light cutting oil, and a good solvent, both of which aids against the formation of gum, which would be disastrous (and expensive) in a very short time.  It seems as though there would be a more suitable chemical. I was hoping to maybe get some people that have indeed used it in industry to further the discussion. Doubtful anybody will chime in now, though.
As far as sanding goes, it keeps the paper clean (unclogged), and aids in cutting. When wet sanding aluminum, you can really go through sandpaper quick. You can use detergent added into water, but it don't work nearly as good as a solvent.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 04:47:37 PM by Sam »
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2010, 05:45:43 PM »
LOL Bill, I introduced the forbidden word Kerosene in a topic on coolant because another fellow like yourself swore by it. I thought he was crazy too. His way was the only way and ready to fight if anyone had a different idea. I would love to get you 2 together.  ;D

That's it for you....
What is that supposed to mean?

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!