Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:11:56 PM

Author Topic: Possible wrong settings? or hardware?  (Read 8546 times)

Possible wrong settings? or hardware?
« on: September 20, 2006, 11:04:38 AM »
I just purchased a new Taig cnc mill with 430 super nema steppers.  I'm using the Xylotex driver for control... so now onto my issue that's either with settings in Mach3 or something in my Xylotex hardware.  When I jog the X axis my Z axis moves along with my A axis (rotary table) and when I jog my Z axis my X and Y axis moves.  Nothing happens when I try to jog my Y and A axis.

I'm new with Mach3 and very green with CNC control so any help would be appriciated.  THANKS! :)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Possible wrong settings? or hardware?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:59:57 PM »
Hi, New To This

Check in Mach3 top Config, Ports Pins, Motor Outputs, the pin assignments should be as below, also make sure all the Step, Dir ports are

assigned to the same port, then click on Apply, OK

SIGNAL  Pin     SIGNAL     Pin
STEP X     2      DIR X        3
STEP Y     4      DIR X        5
STEP Z     6      DIR X        7
STEP A     8     DIR X        9

You may need to setup the Config, Motor tuning after you get them working, to calibrate the Steps Per (number of step's to move 1 inch),

Velocity ( max speed with no missed steps) and Acceleration ( start speed with out missing steps)

If you change any of these remember the Save Axis Settings for each Axis. 

Hopt this Helps, Chip
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 02:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I have those set right.  There must be something else that's causing it.  I tried to run the pocket cutting wizard and my Z axis moved from what I can tell right but my rotary table that shouldn't have even been running was going crazy back and forth and every once in awhile the x axis would jerk.  I'm just missing something.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 12:39:40 AM »
Hi, Twin staged

Two more things to check In Config, Motor Tuning, set the Step, Dir, Pulses to 5 then Save Axis Settings, OK.

Also Printer cables and Printer Ports don't always use all the Gnd Pins 18 through 25 you need to check this I've seen this more than once.

Check the bottom of your Xylotex board for pin's 18 through 25 are connected together and check pin 18 to 18 19 to 19 through 25 to 25 on your printer cable or try a different Mfg. cable

If the Gnd is missing it may be feeding back through the other steppers.

Hope this Helps, Chip
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 03:29:46 PM »
The Step and Dir pulse were set on 5.

I pulled the cover off my Xylotex driver box... The printer cable plugs in on the inside of the box to the Xylotex board ("through wire tape") so I can only assume that the wiring from the plug to the board is correct and also the the cable is correct since it came with the Xylotex box plugged in from the inside.

The machine was said to be tested although I have no idea what the test involved.

I am I looking at the my printer port being the problem now or is there something else that could be causing this?
The computer is a dell P4 3.X GHz HT, 800MHz front side bus, 1 gig ram ( I think)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 04:36:52 PM »
Make sure you don't have MaxNC checked!

Darek
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:10:17 PM »
THANK YOU!  I did have that checked.  I can control the Axises seperately now... however

When I move my Z axis my A moves
When I move my A axis my X moves
When I move my X axis my Z moves
Y axis works just fine

Could the cables be labels wrong? or another setting I'm missing?

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »
Hi, Twin Staged

Write the Pin # down X, Y, Z, A, as thay are now in Config, Port's Pin's, Motor Output.

Then put,

X pin # into Z Axis
Z pin # into A Axis
A pin # into X Axis

Click on Apply, then OK.

Should fix it, Chip
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »
that makes sense  :) thanks i'll try it
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 10:22:17 PM »
well I changed those pins and saved it and restarted mach but I still have the wrong axis moving.