Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:40:08 AM

Author Topic: Will MACH3 ever support 64-bit systems? Officially? FYI, it's 2010  (Read 173411 times)

Re: Will MACH3 ever support 64-bit systems? Officially? FYI, it's 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit which allows you to run things in "compatability mode" i.e. something less than that - ideally running the parallel card driver in XP 32bit mode. I don't know how to check that.

We changed the port setting to 0xD800

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 11:36:51 PM »
You just can't run a 64bit OS with Mach's parallel port driver, it will not work at this time.

Parallel ports are OLD technology that keeps getting duct-taped onto more modern PCs. It is kind of like insisting that your new PC have ISA slots because they are Sooooo much better (and yes PCs are available with ISA slots to this day.) When parallel ports were first used for motion control that was all that was available to the average Joe without a fortune to spend. Today for cases where the parallel port can't be used there are low cost motion control cards available that work with Mach. For my money that is the way to go...

I just sent off a SmoothStepper to an outfit that upgraded all of their PCs to Win7 64bit. They are VERY happy with it as they are able to run their router much faster/smoother than before. I'm not trying to sound like a broken record hawking SmoothSteppers but rather to make the point that they are viable alternatives to the parallel port that in many cases will provide improved performance as well.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:48 PM »
I know that Mach3 / parallel port / 64bit are a no-no. 

But.... I was led to believe that Win 7 Pro compatability mode gave you a VM whereby you ran XP 32 bit "within" Win 7 64 bit so in that case you are not trying to run MACH3 at 64 bit.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 12:04:15 AM »
XP mode is a type of 'virtual machine' BUT, and this is a really big BUT 32bit drivers (like Machs parallel port driver) will NOT work on a 64 bit machine. Take a look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions , under 'Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer'.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 12:14:20 AM »
Well, I wish I knew that before I bought my PC.

Of course, with the missleading information in the misslabeled "minumum requirements" section of the ArtSoft home page, how was I to know that "32 bit version" is actually a maximum unlike the other things listed like Ghz and RAM that are truly minimums.

If I only knew then what I knew now...........

XP mode is a type of 'virtual machine' BUT, and this is a really big BUT 32bit drivers (like Machs parallel port driver) will NOT work on a 64 bit machine. Take a look here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows-frequently-asked-questions , under 'Can I run 32-bit programs on a 64-bit computer'.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 12:23:50 AM »
Well, they can't list every caveat of every possible configuration of PCs out there, it's just not possible. You can use a 32bit processor IF you use a 32bit OS. The PC is just like everything else in your CNC machine you have to know the ins and outs of what to pick and how to configure it to wind up with a system that works well.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »

What are you planning to do Steve?

I'm not sure yet!

I was hoping you were going to say that the XP compatibility mode worked for you.  Since it doesn't, there seem to be just a few options:

1. Investigate whether my system restore disk will allow me to install the 32 version of Win 7 rather than the 64 bit version
2. If not, buy a retail copy of Win 7 for $200 -- not a palatable option
3. See if it is possible to install an old copy of Win XP on the new machine (probably a nightmare waiting to happen)
4. Give up on Mach3 and switch to EMC2

I'm kind of leaning toward option 4 at the moment, but perhaps that is because I am feeling cranky about the whole situation :-)

I know it is my own fault for not reading more carefully about the Windows 7 *32bit* requirement before buying the replacement PC.

Steve
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 12:33:30 AM »
I'm not buying that. With so many PC's now coming with W7 64bit it would be so simple to warn people that it's a no go. Look down a few lines - they do it for laptops. Any good businessman knows it's better in the long run to dumb it down  - it pays big dividends on the back end with less customer service issues. Or in this paradigm where there is no actual customer service, less forum searching for up to date answers.

Example of that - I've been nosing around the SmoothStepper site for the last half hour and being a noobie I'm still trying to figure out just what it is/does and whether it would help in my situation.

Dennis

Well, they can't list every caveat of every possible configuration of PCs out there, it's just not possible. You can use a 32bit processor IF you use a 32bit OS. The PC is just like everything else in your CNC machine you have to know the ins and outs of what to pick and how to configure it to wind up with a system that works well.
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »

[/quote]

I know it is my own fault for not reading more carefully about the Windows 7 *32bit* requirement before buying the replacement PC.

Steve
[/quote]

Why is it your fault? It's listed as a minimum requirement. If you took it literally you'd need to build a PC with a 1Ghz CPU and 512 RAM too.

Offline FXC

•  45 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 12:41:00 AM »
Jeff --

As much as we appreciate your contribution to the world of CNC in general, we also have to realize that everything you say here - besides being obviously biased but also good willing at the same time - is not exactly to the point. Let me explain who exactly is this whole "Windows, parallel port, mach and 64 bits" is all about:
1. People running their machines from their "main" PC - typically found in a home office, living room etc.
2. People who spent no more than a fraction of the cost of a "real" machine
3. All others who just don't want to spend an extra $150, regardless of benefits.

No matter how far you look down the road, a parallel card will always cost $10 or less, while a SmoothStepper will always be several times more, $150 or whatever. By definition, a niche product like the SS will never ever reach commodity pricing.

Today already, but even more in the near future, small machines are bought and used by hobbyists for almost the price of a printer. For these hobbyists, cutting some parts every once in a while is perfectly fine with Mach and the noisy, bad, limping parallel port. Trying to convince such a hobbyist to buy a SS is like trying to tell grandma to buy the $35,000 Buick and not the $25,000 one because it has more horsepower and chrome wheels, too.

And one last thing. Unless you start a SS vs anything-else forum post  with something like "for a little extra money", your opinion risks being summarily dismissed for originating from a biased party. Again, regardless of the SSs benefits.

By the way, I have one and I love it.        
Mach3 is a mess.