Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:14:31 PM

Author Topic: Will MACH3 ever support 64-bit systems? Officially? FYI, it's 2010  (Read 173404 times)

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Re: Will MACH3 ever support 64-bit systems? Officially? FYI, it's 2010
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2011, 07:40:48 AM »
Sorry, making accusations wasn't my intent.

You just made it sound like the parallel port is nearly impossible to get to work. I don't think it's any different than with any external motion device.

I think the bottom line is that a huge number of people that are new to CNC, don't have the expertise that is sometimes needed to get Mach3 to work.

Gerry, How about place this quote in your signature. I know it is a true statement in my case. It has raised its head many times and I am sure it will again in the future too. Sure glad people like you are here to help!
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
Good Day,

I am new to this but I have looked around this forum for about an hour. If I have missed something that is posted elsewhere, my apologies.

From reading this Forum , it appears as if this product is not supported on 64 bit operating systems.  If so, is there a way to get a refund on a license ?

I purchased a license from Zen Toolworks. There is no mention of this limitation in any of the product documentation.

Thanks - I am not trying to tell anyone what systems they should or shouldn't develop for. I just wish I had known this in advance.

Thanks again.

scottn

« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
Good Day,

I am new to this but I have looked around this forum for about an hour. If I have missed something that is posted elsewhere, my apologies.

From reading this Forum , it appears as if this product is not supported on 64 bit operating systems.  If so, is there a way to get a refund on a license ?

I purchased a license from Zen Toolworks. There is no mention of this limitation in any of the product documentation.

Thanks - I am not trying to tell anyone what systems they should or shouldn't develop for. I just wish I had known this in advance.

Thanks again.

Mach3 itself works perfectly fine with 64-bit systems - you just need to use an external motion controller instead of the parallel port...  ;)

scott

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2012, 07:49:06 AM »
If you want to use a 64bit OS for running a machine than you have to use an external motion control card.

Jeff, does the new ethernet version of the smoothstepper work with 64 bit Win7 pro and have you tested it with Win8 (32 or 64)? I have an SS that I got for cheap off the bargain basement quite some time ago. I hate that thing but am forced to use it in order to support customers who use it.  However, I have read good things about the new Ethernet version. You seem to be the go-to guy for smoothstepper, so I would buy from you if I take the plunge.

Last Qs;

Ethernet SS co-exist with Windows network?
Ethernet SS co-exist with Po Keys?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 07:52:35 AM by simpson36 »
« Reply #124 on: November 25, 2012, 08:54:21 AM »
If you want to use a 64bit OS for running a machine than you have to use an external motion control card.

Jeff, does the new ethernet version of the smoothstepper work with 64 bit Win7 pro and have you tested it with Win8 (32 or 64)? I have an SS that I got for cheap off the bargain basement quite some time ago. I hate that thing but am forced to use it in order to support customers who use it.  However, I have read good things about the new Ethernet version. You seem to be the go-to guy for smoothstepper, so I would buy from you if I take the plunge.

Last Qs;

Ethernet SS co-exist with Windows network?
Ethernet SS co-exist with Po Keys?
« Reply #125 on: November 25, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
I have loaded Win 7 64 bit on a laptop with a plcm ethernet card.
The only problem I am facing is the E stop active high and active low changes on its own, particularly at the time of reboot and has to be changed manually.
Is this due to 64 bit ? I am not facing such problems on other laptops running win7 32 bit with run as win xp option.

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2012, 12:44:23 AM »
Well the driver is 32bit and we are thinking about making a 64Bit driver ... We thought he P Port would have been gone by now LOL...

Talked to Art and he is going to setup a 64 bit system to test with..

Thanks
Brian

Meanwhile,  how is this coming along?
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »
I'm curious about this too - I have a 64 bit machine running a 32 bit OS so I can use Mach on it, and it *is* a dedicated machine, but it took a while to find it.  I also occasionally run cuts with millions of lines of GCode (50+Mb isn't unheard of).  I upgraded to this machine because the previous one simply couldn't keep up.

I don't know if this is helpful or obvious, but someone else has posted full source for a Win64 Parallel port driver:
http://www.logix4u.net/parallel-port/26-inpoutx64dll-for-win-xp-64-bit

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
Don't expect to ever see a 64 bit parallel port driver for Mach3.
While there will be a new 32 bit parallel port driver for Mach4, the future will be in external motion controllers. Provided all the developers work together and deliver full featured, reliable products.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:11 AM »
I don't know if this is helpful or obvious, but someone else has posted full source for a Win64 Parallel port driver:
http://www.logix4u.net/parallel-port/26-inpoutx64dll-for-win-xp-64-bit
Just in case this leads to mis-understandings.

This is a 64bit port of inpout32.dll which is designed to give user level software simple read/write access to the PP. There is a LOT more going on in Mach's PP driver than this. Loading this driver will NOT make Mach work with the PP on 64 bit systems.

Ian