Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:17:05 AM

Author Topic: Will MACH3 ever support 64-bit systems? Officially? FYI, it's 2010  (Read 173385 times)

Re: Will MACH3 ever support 64-bit systems? Officially? FYI, it's 2010
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 10:05:07 AM »
wow. Mission impossible. Quite surprise but there should be a way to override the 64 bit win7 driver signature.
I will have to stick with 32 bit windows 7 for now, even though some of the new machines got >4G of memory.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2011, 01:27:15 AM »
Wow...  I just read the whole thing.  People saying "It's 20xx and asking where is the 64bit parallel support?  The irony is killing me!  Shouldn't we be saying "It's 20xx and why do we still have a parallel port?"  It's hard to buy a printer with a parallel connection these days!  That was, after all, the mainstream use for a parallel port.

My current PC (over 2 year old now) didn't even come with a parallel port ,nor PS2 mouse and keyboard, not even a serial port.  It only has 1 PCI slot and the rest are PCI express.  DVI video connectors are going away in 2012.  The old VGA db15 connector is going away in 2015.  HDMI is a fleeting moment in time for PCs (to be replaced with DisplayPort).  Even USB almost didn't make it for 3.0.  And I bet 3.0 is the last "version" of USB, although it will hang around for a while.  It was inevitable that the parallel port goes away.

My point is that things change.

The good news is that back in the 80s, you paid $4K for a PC that had a parallel port and these days you spend less than $1K for a PC and an external motion device.

Steve
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2011, 11:04:30 AM »
PCI and PCIe can be used to add a dedicated serial and parallel port to PC too.
I am currently test a PCI to serial card, and it works very well in Win7.
I will test a PCIe to parallel card and see how it goes with Win7.
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2011, 11:07:53 AM »
The bad thing is:  now, there is no expansion bay on new laptops.
I just did a quick check on Bestbuy, Costco, etc., I haven't succeed on locate even a single laptop allowing me adding extra PCMCIA cards to it.
So I have to stick with desktop, which normally has PCI or "PCIe 1x" slots.
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
One other interesting thing I found when I was searching for a laptop with PCMCIA card bay, is, all the machine at local store are preloaded with Win7 64.
None of them came with a Win7 32.
Can you get Win7 32 preloaded from Dell? All my Desktops and Laptops are either HP or Toshiba. If yes, I will order from Dell thereafter.

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
Like I said...  things change.  The segment of machines that you can even add a parallel port to is growing smaller by the day.  The writing is on the wall.

For Mach, the question is whether to invest the required resources (time and money) into a dying technology.  It will become a business decision that will be quite simple.  And we may already know the answer.

Steve
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
things did change a lot.
But there are still many doesn't. For instance, Ethernet, serial communication, RS485, RS422, CAN bus, etc. Those industry protocol and hardware probably still will last a very long time. Mach 2 and 3 are more on the industry and hobby side, which probably means a Win 7 64 bit support is a good decision.
As long as used/aged machines are still available, this won't be a big deal. However, when all those aged machines are out of service, Win 7 64 is the only way to go probably in next few years. Or try the open-source Linux. (Is there a 64 bit of Linux for CNC purpose? Just curious.)

andrewm

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »

The good news is that back in the 80s, you paid $4K for a PC that had a parallel port and these days you spend less than $1K for a PC and an external motion device.

A lot less, considering Mach3 doesn't exactly require a high performance machine, or even a medium performance.

*Off Topic*I am curious about the USB comment you made, what would they replace it with? SATA? I haven't really been keeping up on the new tech. Im pretty sure my spare computer I run right now(My gaming Comp. died) runs USB 1.0. lol.

One other interesting thing I found when I was searching for a laptop with PCMCIA card bay, is, all the machine at local store are preloaded with Win7 64.
None of them came with a Win7 32.
Can you get Win7 32 preloaded from Dell? All my Desktops and Laptops are either HP or Toshiba. If yes, I will order from Dell thereafter.

You just have to tell them you need it to run a 32bit OS and they will change it. OR JUST BUY the External Motion Device for 150bucks as steve said. Its the smarter choice in my book :p
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 02:48:41 PM by AndrewM »
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2011, 09:36:23 AM »
>(My gaming Comp. died) runs USB 1.0. lol.
what game are you playing, c&c?

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2011, 02:12:54 PM »
 :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)