Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:48:10 AM

Author Topic: Lathe screen, what do you want to see.  (Read 6632 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Lathe screen, what do you want to see.
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:37:45 PM »
What would you want to see for the standard lathe screen?
My personal preference would be a screen similar to mill in layout and with most day to day functions on the main page and other pages for the not so common/occasional tasks and diagnostics etc

How would you have the screen? 
What would you want on the pages?
How many different pages?
Similar to Mill layout or similar to the way the lathe screen is now or if neither what would you like?

Hood
Re: Lathe screen, what do you want to see.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
Well i like mine a lot. ;D

Seriously i do not like them to be too flashy.

I am probably wasting my time in redoing the mill to be like my lathe screen. :'(

There are many wasted items on the standard mill screen as it also doubles as router and plasma with all those unwanted functions.

Will the Rev4 screens be customisable ?

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »
I think the Rev4 screen will be the same as the rev 3 screen in its ability to do your own or alter the standard to suit.

So I take it from your reply you like the way the standard turn screen is set up or is yours vastly different?

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 02:20:38 PM »
So I take it from your reply you like the way the standard turn screen is set up or is yours vastly different?

Hood

Mine is similar in that it uses large buttons for some functions it has a much more friendly layout. Heck why don't you have a look its in the screens in progress section.

There should be some screen shots there.

Maybe we could have a poll

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 02:24:12 PM »
Just had a look and was about to reply, to me that is more like the mill setup than the turn setup and is definitely my preference.

A poll, well not sure how you could make that up, just too many options I would think but feel free to do so if you think it would be the way to go. I thought ideas in a post would be better but I am usually wrong :)
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
I would like to be able to jog cont. and step the x and z axis in selectable size steps and control the spindle and coolant. Also a turret jog buton would be nice. And the gcode window and all its stuff. Edit, load, run, hold, stop, ect. Toolpath would be nice as well.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:22:24 PM »
There are going to be lot of user preferences on the lathe screen since everyone works differently or has a different
variation of  the basic lathe.  

I have been using Phil's screen and it is much more user friendly and has some nice additions / changes  that
were done. The current standard one sucks ( i am sorry, but once you use Phils screen and don't have to jump all
over the place you would understand what i mean ).  Visual switch mode status , enlarged screen fly out on the
cycle / main screen, threading task / indication / and turn wizards with a click, additional buttons for jogging and
visual status, additioinal Axis DROs and coordinate status at a glance are just a few things that come to mind on Phil's screen.

So i am going to get a little long winded here and feel free to question for understanding

How would you have the screen?
- must be different at a glance that it is a lathe screen
- no "flashy" screen colors, what is important stands out or indicates in a non irritating way
- not like the current standard one, but tabbed screens like the mill
- step change the screens ( other than the main operating screen) such that it's it visualy guides you into
  detailed setup via flyouts ( example; a single tabbed Setup screen would visualy show the lathe along with
  coordinates, homing controlled point, offsets / tool table, at a high level. A click on a  particular subject area invokes a
  fly out with the associated particulars for data input.  The whole intent would be to make it somewhat user intuitive
  such that the big picture is grasped and work your way down to the associated detail.
- yep, include additional items from the mill screen
- tries to address the future ( like optional touch screen ), maybe some macro buttons, other / additional axis use)

What would you want on the pages?
- Phil's screen could be used as a good start for an operating screen to enhance and modify
- depends on some yet to be determined defined logic
- ability to use a rotary axis ( i think in the future, as cnc lathe users increase you will see things added to
   the lathe to increase it's versatility....)

How many different pages?
- Operating screen, touch screen,setup screen, tool screen, diagnostics, advanced screen
 ( minimize the number of screens, but how manny will be what can be shown on the screen)    

Similar to Mill layout or similar to the way the lathe screen is now or if neither what would you like?
- simular to Phils main screen and incorporating all relavant stuff from the mill to enhance
  So a combination of both but different and better?

Now if we could all get together around a keg of lauger i am sure it could be rationalized out in one evening ....

RICH
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:24:00 PM by RICH »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
Thanks guys, thats the kind of things I think is wanted.
Personally I wouldnt use a screen that comes with Mach anyway because I am weird and just like the things relevant to me to be on the screen and nothing else.
 Wish it was easy to come up with a way to have a blank canvas and a load of drag and drop buttons so everyone could easily suit themselves but dont think that would be easy to do and even then there would still have to be at least a basic screen for new people to use until they decided how they did things.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »
One thing that deffinatley needs to be addressed is standard Hotkeys. They need to be consistant among all default screens. Mill, plasma, lathe, ect. Under no circumstance should the same hotkey be assigned to 2 different functions.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline mr.c

•  40 40
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
I recently got a touch screen and would like to see a button on the screen to bring up the jog menu instead of using the tab key.