Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:27:04 AM

Author Topic: A Very, Very Cheap and Simple Tool Length Setter  (Read 3399 times)

A Very, Very Cheap and Simple Tool Length Setter
« on: January 10, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »
Now that I have my knee setup to do tool length compensation, and macros for loading the tool table by probing, I wanted to have a proper means of measuring tool length.  I've always done this in the past using just a small piece of PCB material.  But, unless you probe very slowly, there's always a chance of chipping the tool, especially with carbide.  So, I wanted something with a little "give" to deal with any over-shoot when probing.  After thinking about it a bit, I realized I could make something incredibly cheap and easy.  I took a piece of scrap metal (part of an old Jaguar wire wheel hub), that was 2.5" OD, and about 2.25" ID, and about 3/4" long.  I faced the two ends parallel, and cut a small recess in one end.  I then cut a circular piece of PCB material that just fit into the recess, and glued it in place with some CA glue.  So, the 2.5" round piece of PCB material is supported only around the edges, leaving the center to flex a bit to absorb any overshoot with no risk of harm to the tools.  The CA is still setting up, but tomorrow I'll try it out, and take a picture or two.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: A Very, Very Cheap and Simple Tool Length Setter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 03:56:12 AM »
Just a thought Ray - If you could get your PCB disc gold plated it would solve the tarnishing problem and having to clean the surface to prevent the insulating oxidization build up. A further improvement perhaps ?.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: A Very, Very Cheap and Simple Tool Length Setter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »
I haven't found the tarnish to be a problem - it's very thin, and the tool tips have no trouble pushign through it.  Gold would certainly be better, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.