Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:18:30 AM

Author Topic: Driver Test Not What Expected  (Read 15217 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Test Not What Expected
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »
afraid not, I dont use the PP so no need for the driver.
Hood

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 07:07:51 PM »
Hi Guys:

First, enevr run the specialdriver.bat unless the computer is simply rebooting when attempting to run MAch3. All the special driver does is turn off Apic usage, tring to use a
non available apic will reboot the system.

It sounds like the .035 version driver fixes this problem of low frequency for you, so Id wait for Brians re-release of it. It shoudl be within a day or so I suspect.
Let me know if theres any trouble when .036 is released...with driver 517

thx,
Art
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 08:16:24 PM »
Thanks guys,

I uninstalled the 035, did a manual un-install of the driver through device manager. Re-booted the system then installed 033 again. re-booted the system and Mach3 will run....but the driver test does not work again (as expected).

I don't see a copy of 034 on the FTP site, nor do I see it elsewhere; but, I think I will wait a couple of days for 036 to release anyway. I'm in a bit of a hurry, but this is on a new-to-me startup, so I have lots of items to work on. These stepper motors have never been turned nor have the stepper drives been used.....should be fun.

Is there a chance that 035 would run on my machine that has APIC disabled, if I run the appropriate driver, via the .bat? to clarify the question, is Mach3.noapic used on machines configured as Standard Computer with the APIC disabled?

Thank you,
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 08:40:01 PM by controlfreq »

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
035 appeared on the download page with driver 516, but it had a problem throwing up an error on boot,  and was pulled from the download page.

It has now reappeared with driver 517 and it works for me. 

It has fixed the wandering pulse speed issue that appeared in 034, for me at least.

Greg
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:00:46 PM »
Are revisions really being made without indexing the minor Rev. number.....ie two releases of 3.042.035 with different driver packages etc.......and I don't see any reflection of this modification in the change log?

Just curious before I chase my tail with install/uninstall.

My last download of 035 was really early this morning (depending on time zone), but I can give it another try.

Thank you,

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »
Here is a copy of a post that Brian made on the Yahoo group a couple of hours ago,

Yeah.. I had put it up and I was about to test it.. and before I could I
had people telling me that it was not working... Turns out it was a bad
build of Mach3 O well.. it is back n the web and should be good to go now!
Thanks
Brian

Greg
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 11:02:04 PM »
Well, Kudos so far....downloaded the latest .035 and it runs the driver test as expected.....and Mach3 launches. That's a great start. I look forward to moving forward with this build.

So, the big question.....does the fixes to the driver test have any bearing on the performance of the Mach3 program. I know there is much behind the scenes, but were the problems with the driver program also affecting the Mach3 performance? I would love a 30 second explanation of the changes that cause the driver test to more accurately reflect the testing frequency, and what bearing that code has on the performance of Mach3, given that the diagnostic screen of Mach3 always displayed the accurate PPS configured.

Thanks for all the work.

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 12:23:40 AM »
Hi:

The driver wont impact performance of MAch3 other than making feedrates and frequency more accurate. Performance MAY be enhanced by other fixes Brian may have done..
But in general, you shouldnt see any real change, unless previosu versions wouldnt lock in properly.

As to the Apic, doesnt matter if your in apic mode or standard mode , most cpus still use the apic driver. Only machines that reboot on run usually require the non-apic driver. Non-apic meaning the motherbaord has no apic in the cpu chip.. most now do.

Art
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 02:26:58 AM »
I installed the latest .035 version on both machines. One the #1 machine, everything is running fine. On the #2 machine, I ran the Special Driver script as that PC is configured as a Standard Computer, and in the BIOS the APIC is disabled. There are two things that causes the driver test application to freeze, and occasionally cause a re-boot.
1. setting the frequency at 100KHz
2. changing the frequency setting while the application is taking control

Next while running Mach3 and monitoring the frequency on the diagnostics screen, the frequency will sometimes go into single digits. For example, while configured for 25KHz, it will display 2, 48, 24950, 1, 88, 24337, etc.....

Odd. I'll be doing some testing this weekend, so we'll see how it works with the steppers.

Is there really a .036 nearing release, as previously referenced?

Thank you again....

Offline ART

•  1,702 1,702
  • Tough as soggy paper.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 10:17:25 AM »
Hi:

No, the second .035 is the final release number. SO what you have should work.

( I still woulnt use the special driver unless the machien reboots with the original one..)

Art