Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:29:13 AM

Author Topic: Driver Test Not What Expected  (Read 15213 times)

Re: Driver Test Not What Expected
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 09:45:45 AM »
When you uninstall, manually remove the driver from the device manager.

I think I did my usual "install it and see if it works" thing and am fairly certain that I didn't reboot when it warned to. Then, when I read the install doc, I found that. (sigh)  Now, _what_ file do I manually remove? All I see in the docs are " manually remove 'the driver' ".  I'm using a SmoothStepper on a 64-bit machine, not a parallel port.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 11:01:43 AM »
If it is a fairly recent version of Mach that you installed then it would sense whether the driver had previously been installed and would not reboot, if it was the first time then it would have rebooted itself.
Also worth mentioning, if you are using the Smoothstepper you do not need the driver installed as it communicates to Mach via a plugin, you only need the driver if you are controlling your machine via the parallel port.
Hood
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 11:19:39 AM »
If it is a fairly recent version of Mach that you installed then it would sense whether the driver had previously been installed and would not reboot, if it was the first time then it would have rebooted itself.
Also worth mentioning, if you are using the Smoothstepper you do not need the driver installed as it communicates to Mach via a plugin, you only need the driver if you are controlling your machine via the parallel port.
Hood

It's version R3.043.022.  I'm having problems getting set up.  When I load the XML file, it shows all pins and ports as zero.  I thought maybe it was due to the lack of the reboot.  I'll be finished with my CNC router build (hopefully) on Friday and still can't get the bloody software set up.  All my hair is now gone, pulled out in frustration.  I have a green light on the Gecko G540, green and blue lights on the SmoothStepper, and a flashing red indicating comm on the SmoothStepper, but can't figure out how to get it actually talking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 11:24:15 AM »
You need to set the ports and pins yourself, to suit your machine, unless you have got a xml from someone that has the same machine/setup as you.
Hood
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »
You need to set the ports and pins yourself, to suit your machine, unless you have got a xml from someone that has the same machine/setup as you.
Hood
I set it up according to the Gecko file, 540BVFD.XML, but when it comes up in Mach, all the inputs and outputs are zeroed.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
Sounds like you are opening the wrong profile, if you loaded a xml you need to load the profile with that name. So if the xml you placed in your Mach folder was called 540BVFD.XML you will need to open the profile called 540BVFD
To do that use the Mach3 Loader and choose it from the list.
Hood
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 11:54:38 AM »
Sounds like you are opening the wrong profile, if you loaded a xml you need to load the profile with that name. So if the xml you placed in your Mach folder was called 540BVFD.XML you will need to open the profile called 540BVFD
To do that use the Mach3 Loader and choose it from the list.
Hood

That is precisely what I did, yet the Ports and Pins list remains empty/zeroed when I look.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 12:18:55 PM »
Can you attach the xml, also have a look on the diagnostics page and see what the frequency DRO says.
Hood
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Can you attach the xml, also have a look on the diagnostics page and see what the frequency DRO says.
Hood

The only freq I see on the diag page is Pulse Frequency which shows "external."
Attached are the original copy and saved, as modified by Mach.
I'm having a heck of a time uploading those bleeping files.  It tells me that it already has a file with that name
so I changed it to saved540.xml and orig540.xml, then retry, but it won't upload. (I love forum software...)
OK, trying LJsaved540.xml and LJorig540.xml

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 02:48:30 PM »
Ok that is fine for the frequency as I was wanting to know if you had selected the external controller and you have.
Place this xml in the Mach3 folder and using the laoder open it and see how you get on. I have not changed any ports or pins from that of the original one so not sure if they are correct or not but see how you go.
Hood