Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:20:02 AM

Author Topic: New odd Y (lack of) movement problem  (Read 3282 times)

New odd Y (lack of) movement problem
« on: January 01, 2010, 12:40:52 PM »
So now that I understand machine coordinates and have Mach3 and my mini mill configured I've been using CamBam to draw some simple shapes and text and draw them in Mach3 with a pencil mounted. Today, I was prepping to actually cut some metal :) At first, my "dry runs" were good, everything was working fine. I am trying to make a simple rectangular cut out for my G540 in a thin steel front panel on my electronics box. I was going to do one more run and as it ran, the Y axis did not move at all. I spent a lot of time trying to debug with no effect. The Y and Z worked fine. I then went to the tab where I could manually enter G code. A G0 Y1 works fine, a G1 Y1 shows the table moving on the Mach display but the stepper is not turning and the physical table does not move. I reset machine origins, work origin, and tested everything I could. G1 Y just will not work now and it was earlier today.

Any help or debugging suggestions greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Michael
Re: New odd Y (lack of) movement problem
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
Sounds like an electrical connection

When the machine is stationary you should not be able to turn the motors.

So i would start here and double check all connections the next step would be swap drivers if you haven't made a mistake in buying an all in one board with 3/4 drivers on it

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »
Phil, why would a G0 movement work and a G1 not work? Jogging from the keyboard or jog panel also works fine. That tells me that it is probably not an electrical problem, no?

Regards,
Michael
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 01:20:15 PM »
Well, after posting this, having lunch, shoveling the driveway, replying to Phil's post and coming back to my shop, it of course is working now.

However, my PC had gone to sleep and my usual screensaver was not displayed - I just had a black screen. Upon reawakening I was going to switch the X and Y controllers to check for electrical problems but when I tested it, G1 Y1 was working. I've run through an entire Gcode test file with lots of movement with no problems. I'll just keep my eye on it to see if it happens again and report back one way or another.

cheers,
Michael
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Well, it is doing it again. I also switched my X and Y axis at the G540 and it is the Y "port" irregardless of which motor. Oddly. G0 moves always work, G1 moves are intermittent. I am going to check the Gecko forums etc. I don't know what the difference between a G0 and G1 movement would translate to in the code going to the controller?

cheers,
Michael