Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:56:05 AM

Author Topic: Newbie needing info!  (Read 4458 times)

Newbie needing info!
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »
Hello all! I just bought a CNC Router form a sign company they never used. This was due to them not knowing how to run it and not wanting to learn the software. So I picked it up and was doing some basic cleaning and piddling, and found some slop in the Z-Axis. The router is held by two 1/2" bars with 4 linear bearings. The bearings are Thompson Super 8's, inserted in what looks to be a PVC material bearing holder. The bearing rests inside the holders with snap clips, and the holder has 3 machine screws attaching to the plates. What I found was, the Super 8's have these 4 steel pieces that have worn out the PVC holder, causing the slop. All I know about the CNC Router it was bought in 2002, the motors are made in Italy, 8 wires, going into 4. Has one limit switch per axis, table is approx. 30" x 50". The breakout board was made from a company that is out of business. The CNC works, but my question is, can anyone tell me what kind of CNC I have? There are no marks. brands, plates etc. None on the power supply box, or the breakout box. The reason is I want to get some new bearing holders, but need to know what to look for. Or should I just get someone to turn 4 new ones from aluminum? I can add pictures, just let me know what to take the picture of and I will add...

Thanks so much in advance!

Rick
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:42:27 PM by BuellRider »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Newbie needing info!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/1068/=51p9kn
I think these are what your referring to. Might try ebay if cost is a concern.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
Yes, those are the bearings. What I need is the holder those bearings slide into. Here is some pics. The holders are blue in color, the bearing is black. I need the blue part...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 05:29:53 PM by BuellRider »
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 05:43:33 PM »
More pics:

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 06:21:09 PM »
If I were going to get some made, I would go for the aluminum at the very least. That whole stage part should have been made from a billet, but it looks like cost/time was a factor. If your not careful, machines are easy to sink a ton of money into. This one looks like a superb candidate to learn on. My personal advise would be to replace the parts in as much of a cost effective manner as possible.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »
Yes, I thought aluminum would be the best route. Here are some pics of the breakout box:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 10:36:38 PM by BuellRider »
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »
Here is the Power Supply: