Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:39:42 PM

Author Topic: "Generic" screenset with buttons to control an output pin - is there one?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline alanr

•  12 12
    • View Profile
I'm trying to get up and running with Mach3 after years of using CNCPro for DOS.

My machine is used manually on occasion (usually for initial positioning) and to facilitate this, I devote three PPort output pins to enable or disable an individual axis in the controller box.  With CNCPro, controlling these outputs is easy, as is labeling them appropriately.

From my reading, it looks like I can create my own screenset to do this in Mach3 (I have no need to computer-control the coolant or the spindle).  Frankly, though, I want to get started USING Mach3, not trying to learn how to create screensets for a program I don't know how to use in the first place.

Is there a generic screenset with buttons like Output1, Output2 and so on?

Thanks.

Alan
Re: "Generic" screenset with buttons to control an output pin - is there one?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »
Hi Alan,
Not that I am aware of but it shouldn't be that tough.
The new program Machscreen is much better than screen 4.
If you want I could whip up a quick screen that does what you want.

The other option is to wire the drives enable circuit to the enable outputs from Mach3. When Mach3 is in e-stop, the drives are disabled. When you reset the e-stop, the drives are started one at a time with a very small delay between each to soften the initial surge on the power supply.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline alanr

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »
Ahh, OK, if you insist!

:)

Seriously, thank you very much.  If you have the time, such a thing would be a big help to me.  Even an extra screen with just four buttons to control four outputs (in my case, PPort pins 1,14,16,17) added on to the default Mach3 screen would be a help. 

(The buttons are X enable, Y enable, Z enable, and Reset, which resets the controller in the event of a Gecko fault).

I do plan to get into writing my own screens; this is one of the real attractions to Mach3.  But there's just so much to learn and tweak and configure first that it might be a fair time before I get to it.

Thanks again.

Alan
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:36:07 PM »
Give me a day or two as I am trying to get the shop and yard ready for the snow.

A gentle reminder post in a few days is good because I forget somethings.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Offline alanr

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:05:22 PM »
OK Mike, here's the "Gentle Reminder" post (as I watch the snow come down here as well).

I'm actually at the point where I want to begin moving things using Mach3, but to do so, I have to figure out how to control the four output lines or else wire up a new PPort to Controller cable with the four lines broken out to switches (something I'd obviously rather not do).

I've been playing with Screen4 and Mach3Screen, but haven't made much progress.  I do know a bit about programming (old DOS assembly guy), so even a single button to control a pin and indicate state (toggle LED, change in button label, change in button bitmap, etc.)  would be an enormous help.  I'm sure I could modify an existing screenset from there.

Alan

Offline alanr

•  12 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »
Hey Mike, I may just have figured this out; you might be off the hook!

I've modified a screenset to add buttons and LEDS and some VB code.

It works in the Diagnostic screen!  After dinner, out to the shop and I'll see if it actually works.

Alan
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:17:04 AM »
Very cool.
I have it almost done but need to verify a few things.
Let me know how you make out.