Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 09:26:21 AM

Author Topic: A Simple But Useful Probing Trick  (Read 4973 times)

A Simple But Useful Probing Trick
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:52 PM »
I just finished cobbling my probing macros to implement a two-pass approach - I first do a "high-speed" pass to find the edge quickly, then back up a short distance, and do a second "low-speed" pass to locate it very accurately.  This completes the overal probing operation more quickly, and with a better result.  I'm doing the "high-speed" at 10 IPM, and the "low-speed" at 1 IPM, and getting +/-0.0001" repeatability!  With a flexible probe, I hope to be able to increase the high-speed feed rate considerably.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
Re: A Simple But Useful Probing Trick
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 11:07:18 PM »
Hi Ray,
I got my flexible probe last week and Rufi sent me the code for the dspmc to do probing. I hope to be able to set it up and run some probing next week.
The flexible probe I got from Arnie/Zarzul here from the bargain basement. It is a solid looking device and it come with both the probe tip and the tool setting tip so it should be a good match for your probing macros.
It also came with a nice little silicone seal so when you us eit as a tool setter it won't get full of coolant. If the probing works as well as you say and the dspmc code is up to snuff, I will buy a second one so that the tool lenght setter is set up all the time and I can just pop in the flexible one for probing. I have seen where you do a lot of probing to setup jobs and I am hoping as well to get away from a mechanical edge finder.

Keep up the good work for those of us who can't seem to write a macro unless it is macroni and cheese.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:17:18 AM »
Hi Ray,
I got my flexible probe last week and Rufi sent me the code for the dspmc to do probing. I hope to be able to set it up and run some probing next week.
The flexible probe I got from Arnie/Zarzul here from the bargain basement. It is a solid looking device and it come with both the probe tip and the tool setting tip so it should be a good match for your probing macros.
It also came with a nice little silicone seal so when you us eit as a tool setter it won't get full of coolant. If the probing works as well as you say and the dspmc code is up to snuff, I will buy a second one so that the tool lenght setter is set up all the time and I can just pop in the flexible one for probing. I have seen where you do a lot of probing to setup jobs and I am hoping as well to get away from a mechanical edge finder.

Keep up the good work for those of us who can't seem to write a macro unless it is macroni and cheese.

Mike

Mike,

I actually haven't had a chance to try Arnies probe yet, but I hope to finally do so tomorrow, with the new macros.  And, I hope to take my first cuts with my new quill drive, and try out the *killer* endmills I got - supposedly able to do 1/2" slotting, over 1/2" deep, at 100 IPM!

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 08:28:31 AM »
Ray,
just get the probing working like a charm. I have a probe that has been collecting dust for a long time
and one of these days would like to try it out without breaking it !
RICH
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
Ray,
just get the probing working like a charm. I have a probe that has been collecting dust for a long time
RICH

Rich,

Well, I've decided rigid probes and Mach3 are a bad combination. 99.9% of the time it works great, but every once in a while, Mach3 does something weird, and breaks the probe.  I've broken 3 over the last 6-9 months.  I've got a design for an unbreakable probe, unlike any I've seen, much simpler than the typical ones with the three contact pins and ball bearings.  I'll be building that sometime in the next few weeks, and will post pictures when I do.  It should be just as accurate as a rigid probe, but unbreakable.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »
Ray,
RICH
Rich is it Zarzuls model? If so insert it and run a g31 it will stop on contact and retract. John[[/quote]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:01:31 PM by Fastest1 »
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »
The probe is a high end one with a ruby contact.

The rigid probe that i made for use with CopyCat was made such that the probe could be replaced.
You know that they will bend almost a perfect 90 degree when it tries to go thru a part instead of stopping!  ;D

RICH

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:33:27 AM »
I tested mine off of the mill first just to make sure Mach was seeing the signal. After that was resolved there have been no problems. I did have some configuration issues at first but I have those with every change LOL.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)