Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:53:26 AM

Author Topic: OEM Mach 3  (Read 7434 times)

OEM Mach 3
« on: September 12, 2006, 01:56:21 PM »
Hey, this one goes to brian and art,

I dont know if this is possible, or even convenient for you guys. But is it possible to compile a version of Mach 3 for OEM use? one that shows the OEM´s logo in the splash screen, title bar, menus and helps and abouts?
I guess this will generate an extra cost, maybe an OEM licence?

Regards
Fernando
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 02:19:18 PM by fer_mayrl »

ynneb

Re: OEM Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 07:26:27 PM »
With any free rescource editors found on the net it is possible to replace the splash screens, or any images, change the windows title, and even change the menus words to another language if you want.
Essentially you can make have no reference to Mach3 and it look like it is a specially written program for your company.

Art has told me he encourages people to use resource editors.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 07:29:33 PM »
thanks benny,
never heard of such resource editors, do you have a preffered one?
Regards
Fernando

ynneb

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:38:32 PM »
I have used a few types. They all have thier pros and cons.
Try a few of these. http://www.thefreecountry.com/programming/resourceeditors.shtml

I must admit I was surprized when Art said he encourages people to use these tools. Personally I would think of them as a threat.

I have only ever experimented with these, and made up a mock "Benny" version, so I cant give you too much help in terms of what editor does what, and the best processes. The only tip I can give is to swap a BMP with a BMP and not a JPG, and also try and match up the bit rating of the bitmaps, for trouble free swapping.

I would be interested in your progress. Please let me know how you go.

EDIT: From memory this is the most versatile one http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 09:05:21 PM »
I made my own Mach screen and just like Benny said droped three of them in the bitmap file, "Splash.bmp","Splash1.bmp" and "Splash2.bmp".p
BUt I would never hide the icon and make people think it was any other program but Mach.

ynneb

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 09:50:13 PM »
Thats a Vile thing to do. You wretch :)
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 09:51:16 PM »
What program did you use to do that?

I have always wanted to build plasma tables for comercial use, I was kind of thinking about doing the mach mod, to bundle with the machines. If you ask me I would think it is kind of a protection both for Art, and for the OEM. If you left the mach program as is. then the consumer can back trace the source of the program and reuse the license if they were inteligent enough to build more machines. If I was the OEM i would purchase a license for each machine built and sold.

Dont know if that sounds reasonable.
Regards
Fernando
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:22 PM »
Benny;
I found a good resource editor in the page you sent to me, it the XN reosurce editor. You can change almost everything in there!
I couldnt find the splash screens though, maybe with another editor.

Regards
Fernando

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:56:52 PM »
I used Firework to create the splash screen, it took about a minute to do. If you want one with your logo(or I could just use text with some steel effects) email it to me. If you have an idea of what you want it to look like send a description. I'll have sometime tomorrow to do it.
I've work with creating Icon's, so you could turn your splash screen or logo into an icon.

For the splash screen you just over write Mach 3 bitmap pictures with your own.

There is also a free installer program calle Install creator.
 Benny knows ,he told me about it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 10:59:14 PM by zealouse »
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 11:19:09 PM »
duh!
never thought of looking in there!

thanks for the offer, we have an inhouse graphics designer where i work, so he´ll give me a hand.
Best Regards
Fernando