Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:57:58 AM

Author Topic: touchscreen monitor  (Read 6912 times)

Offline josh

•  101 101
    • View Profile
touchscreen monitor
« on: December 07, 2009, 01:13:11 AM »
does any one know  how do I go about making my monitor a touch screen.
or do I have to buy a touch screen monitor
Re: touchscreen monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:28:39 AM »
For about $100 you can buy a touchscreen panel that you can put over your monitor.  On some monitors, there is enough room to put the panel inside the monitor case.  It connects by USB, and interfaces to the system as a HID device (mouse).  There are lots of them on E-Bay.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:02:36 PM »
Acer has a 23" Touchscreen that I have been considering. I think a problem may exist insomuch that this monitor only works under W7. I need to do some more digging. Of course my search started on a Saturday evening so I will have to wait until Monday to go see this device in person. If this screen is 23" wide, that would make a wonderful slate for a number of functions to visible and the buttons could also be fairly large.
These are only my own speculations. I really am quite new to all of this, and as such, it makes sense to me to have the most control over the machines' functions as possible. -ESPECIALLY THE ESTOP!

This is a description that should lead you to a web page of sorts:
Acer T230H Bmidh 23IN Widescreen LCD Touchscreen Monitor 1920X1080 80000:1ACM 2MS VGA DVI HDMI Black

Cheers! Rich.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
I too would be interested in the touch screen scenario.....

Any one using this yet?

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
Not yet. Still looking around. The Acer model Is , from what Ive been told some sort of 19inch monitor with a perimeter of "touch space" I don't know how true this is.. I have yet to see this monitor in person. I'm going on what the "useful" salesman told me... which wasn't much and I could hardly understand him so....

Other than that, I have found a company called Keytek or keytech and they have monitors as well as touch sensitive overlays. I think I will wait for the real McCoy - a true glass faced screen that is touch sensitive everywhere...

I did find this type of monitor but they are still around 1500 bucks.. Too much if you asks me... If you find out anything, do post it here... Also learned that there are at least three different types. Two of which are reistive touch and another called Capacitive touch. Both have different applications. I still need to learn more about these. anyway.. still hunting around... If I do this, It may happen this year.

Happy new year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 09:46:30 PM by MachDonald »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
I have touch screens on all my machines, three use resistive overlays and the other a capacitive one. The Capacitive has a glass front the resistive a flexible. Not much to choose between all of them but I would say the resistive are slightly better. The flexible front seem to stand up well, I have had one for over 4 yrs and is used daily in a dirty job shop environment and its still fine.
 I did have an ELO panel monitor that had a SAW technology which seemed deadly accurate but the slightest bit of coolant on the panel and the cursor would go crazy, so I would avoid that technology for a touch screen if you use coolant. I just bought a resistive overlay and replaced the ELO overlay and its great now.
Hood

Offline josh

•  101 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »
where can I get a resistive overlay
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Did you not bother *reading* the responses to your own thread?
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 04:21:51 PM »

Did you not bother *reading* the responses to your own thread?
?????

I think he must have as he's now asking about resistive overlays mentioned by Hood.

I've seen overlays on ebay, have a search through them as some have quite a bit of info on the page.

Steve

Offline josh

•  101 101
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 10:56:24 PM »
I am not to much of a computer guy so I did not know what Hood ment by resistive overlays.
please bare with  :'( :'( :'( :'(