Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:26:46 PM

Author Topic: Final Build  (Read 28084 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
Final Build
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:21:19 AM »
Hey folks, I'm starting a new thread to show the final build from start to finish.  Tonight is only a little bit.  The plates are in, so here's a pict of them.  Also I started to assemble what I could onto the gantry.  It's so very cool to see it coming together just like the model;)

I'll add to this thread as I make progress.  I plan on having the whole thing put together by the end of next week.

Barry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Final Build
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:25:03 AM »
Brilliant idea Barry - I can't wait for part 2 etc.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:30 AM »
Barry, where did you get the plans, parts, kit, etc?  Looks great.

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
I started by looking at everybody's machine on here.  I settled on two designs I really liked.  One was the cnctoolkit maker.  I liked his frame.  The other was doughty drives b/c drive.  I started modeling everything.  It took a long time, because I usually had to order the parts, take measurements and then remodel again to make sure everything will work together.  So in the end, I can say that this design is mine, but all parts can be ordered online save for the custom plates.  If it all functions well in the end, I might put together a build of material/parts list and suppliers so others can build one too.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:55:14 AM »
What material are those plates?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »
It's all 6061 aluminum.  I had all the plates anodized after cutting to protect them a bit and look better.  There is a variety of widths, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, 5mm and 6mm.  I've got picts of them alll getting cut on the waterjet, that's pretty amazing.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:09:05 PM »
Did you draw up the plates yourself?  It is going to be one sweet looking machine once it's done.  Have you thought about putting the spindle motor on a multi-axis head?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
Yeah, I did all the modeling myself.  All the plates are cut from my models.  I'm using the doughty drive B/C head for the spindle which is multi-axis.  Take a look:

http://www.doughtydrive.com

His service is great too.

Barry
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
I've seen that.  He doesn't like giving up prices on his web site.  :D  I'd be very interested in your materials/build list.

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 06:33:53 PM »
I like that you had the parts anodized. I have dropped my anodized parts on the concrete floor before. The floor chipped, and not even the faintest scratch on the part. It really protects them more than people realize. Makes it look more professional, too.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."