Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:47:35 AM

Author Topic: Many many inputs  (Read 3298 times)

Many many inputs
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:56 AM »
Hey all,

Im well on the way to building my SX3 CNC mach based machine.  As this is my only milling machine I wanted to be able to use it as a manual machine too, so after looking on ebay I got three chinese mpg wheels and have made some mounting brackets.

I am also making my control unit in a computer box to keep everything tidy.  I plan to fit a 4th axis driver soon too.

But, this requires two inputs per axis plus some other switches to control x10 x100 etc so my question (whilst showing progress) is: are there any opto-isolated breakout boards which favour inputs over outputs i.e. I want as many inputs as possible, that work with a smooth stepper and mach3 and are cheap......

When I get some more time I will post the progress leading upto this point.

Rob.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Many many inputs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 08:10:55 AM »
I like pmdx 122's.  Have a look at their docs on PMDXs site. You can set pins 2-9 as inputs.  There small and with the right stand offs you could stack them up. I ran my MPG straight to the SS though, port 3.  This gives me no optical isolation on those inputs though.  I can't remember all the details of why but the inputs I used for the MPG had to be normal inputs, not outputs selected as inputs (2-9).

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
Many many inputs
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
The PMDX 126 is a great unit too. It allows the SS to plug in directly. It has expanded mode capabilities that allow more inputs on a single port if desired. It has plenty more abilities I don't even begin to understand ;-)
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)